Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you deal with the time between PhD and research years?
I am starting an MD/PhD program soon and neurosurgery is of potential interest. Career goal is physician scientist with 60%+ protected time. I am concerned that the long period away from the lab during residency will make it difficult to catch up once research years resume. Are neurosurgeons at a significant disadvantage for basic science because of this? 

In general, are neurosurgeon-PhDs not as well positioned for basic science careers compared to neurologists?
(11-26-2020, 01:29 AM)Guest Wrote: I am starting an MD/PhD program soon and neurosurgery is of potential interest. Career goal is physician scientist with 60%+ protected time. I am concerned that the long period away from the lab during residency will make it difficult to catch up once research years resume. Are neurosurgeons at a significant disadvantage for basic science because of this? 

In general, are neurosurgeon-PhDs not as well positioned for basic science careers compared to neurologists?

I think if you really want to spend <40% of your job working w/ patients, then neurology is going to be a way better route than neurosurgery. #1) you'll have way more time to do research stuff (as a proportion of total time spent) in neurology, #2) your neurosurgery chair is going to want you to book cases b/c that is how the department makes most of its money (vs neurology, where a substantial proportion is often brought through grants), and #3) you can't be a great surgeon if you are spending such a small fraction of your time doing the surgery, whereas you can still potentially be a good neurologist.
Fuck neurology. A lot of powerhouse neuroscience MD-PhDs do psych, eg Karl Deisseroth, Vikas Sohaal. Psych has much gentler hours even when you are on clinical time. Also, neurology? Seriously? Literally the worst specialty

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)