Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case vs OSU vs Cinci
(12-25-2020, 09:42 AM)Guest Wrote: Did anyone else who interviewed at OSU/rotated feel like the residents were at odds with the attendings? That's the vibe I got in my interview

Resident here, different program. I'll say that the vibe of being at odds is not abnormal. If anything i'd say it's pretty status quo.

We're not that far off from the era of residents getting torque drivers thrown at their heads and literal physical abuse. There's usually a couple attendings in every department that are buddy buddy with the residents (usually younger ones, PDs, occasionally an awesome chair), but for the most part in neurosurgery attendings are stern, tough on residents, and especially to an outsider that can seem like a strained relationship. I wouldnt read too much into it.
(12-25-2020, 09:42 AM)Guest Wrote: Did anyone else who interviewed at OSU/rotated feel like the residents were at odds with the attendings? That's the vibe I got in my interview

I didn't get this vibe, but at times it did feel like the applicants weren't really able to join in on some of the joking the residents did the way they would at other programs' happy hours
(12-22-2020, 11:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:20 PM)IGuest Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Really think that this depends upon what you want, but in general, I'd say OSU > Case. OSU has better spine and skull base, whereas Case/University may have better open vascular/endovascular. Feel like tumor is a push, or OSU is better, if anything, since it doesn't have to compete w/ another academic institution right next door and is in a larger metropolitan area (source: Wikipedia --> if you trust that one). Columbus is also one of the faster growing large US cities, whereas Cleveland is stagnant, like many rust belt cities. Also, from a case perspective, OSU is growing and has ~7100 cases for FY2019 split across 16 total residents vs. Case (which I think has like 4000/yr) for 16 total residents. To this point, OSU is actually looking to expand their residency compliment. Last, OSU has more NIH/research funding ($1.8million --> rank 24 vs. $0.57million for Case --> rank 41) + Lonser as chair (former NIH neurosurgery head). So I think academic or clinical, OSU probably has the edge. However, if cerebrovascular is your think, Case might have the advantage. Agreed with poster above that the spine guys (namely Mendel) are better known @ OSU.

Can anyone expand on the case is better at vascular claim?  I just don’t see it.  For same reason as skins volume mentioned above I suspect CCF gets most.

(12-21-2020, 08:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Really think that this depends upon what you want, but in general, I'd say OSU > Case. OSU has better spine and skull base, whereas Case/University may have better open vascular/endovascular. Feel like tumor is a push, or OSU is better, if anything, since it doesn't have to compete w/ another academic institution right next door and is in a larger metropolitan area (source: Wikipedia --> if you trust that one). Columbus is also one of the faster growing large US cities, whereas Cleveland is stagnant, like many rust belt cities. Also, from a case perspective, OSU is growing and has ~7100 cases for FY2019 split across 16 total residents vs. Case (which I think has like 4000/yr) for 16 total residents. To this point, OSU is actually looking to expand their residency compliment. Last, OSU has more NIH/research funding ($1.8million --> rank 24 vs. $0.57million for Case --> rank 41) + Lonser as chair (former NIH neurosurgery head). So I think academic or clinical, OSU probably has the edge. However, if cerebrovascular is your think, Case might have the advantage. Agreed with poster above that the spine guys (namely Mendel) are better known @ OSU.

Can anyone expand on the case is better at vascular claim?  I just don’t see it.  For same reason as skins volume mentioned above I suspect CCF gets most.
Not super familiar with the programs but I did interview at Case when I applied. Bambakidis is a fairly big name in open vascular. I think Selman is/was vascular-oriented as well. Did not do CCF or OSU but I thought Case was a solid spot.

CCF is almost entirely endovascular with occasional open cases. Case has 3 open/endo faculty who all lean open, and one open faculty (Selman) who does everything open. Nobody at CCF have the vascular name/clout of Selman and Bambakidis. It’s a solid program.
Seems like one is where the field is trending and the other is archaic.
Any thoughts on Cinci?
(12-28-2020, 08:53 AM)Guest Wrote: I guess depends on how you see it. No argument that most vascular cases are now endo, and likely should be, but it’s a good skill set to have that translates to other microsurgical cases, ie bypass, intramedullary spinal cord tumors, on and on. Also just because things are trending in a direction doesn’t mean that’s where it will ultimately end up. Likely will eventually be a handful of centers where open vascular case outcomes are far superior because they kept doing them, and will become state/regional referral centers. But that’s way down the line.

Not super familiar with the programs but I did interview at Case when I applied. Bambakidis is a fairly big name in open vascular. I think Selman is/was vascular-oriented as well. Did not do CCF or OSU but I thought Case was a solid spot.

CCF is almost entirely endovascular with occasional open cases. Case has 3 open/endo faculty who all lean open, and one open faculty (Selman) who does everything open. Nobody at CCF have the vascular name/clout of Selman and Bambakidis. It’s a solid program.

I guess depends on how you see it. No argument that most vascular cases are now endo, and likely should be, but it’s a good skill set to have that translates to other microsurgical cases, ie bypass, intramedullary spinal cord tumors, on and on. Also just because things are trending in a direction doesn’t mean that’s where it will ultimately end up. Likely will eventually be a handful of centers where open vascular case outcomes are far superior because they kept doing them, and will become state/regional referral centers. But that’s way down the line.
(12-28-2020, 08:53 AM)Guest Wrote:

Nah. Just saying the case residents do a lot of open vascular cases. If that’s not your thing, s’ok.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)