Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 sub-i
are there sub internships for 2021? Who should students email to figure this out?
No official word yet from AAMC, SNS or other organizations. If widespread vaccination occurs and community spread decreases – possibly. Otherwise – likely not.

Keep an eye out on SNS website: https://www.societyns.org/medical-studen...-rotations
Anyone have any new info on this?
(01-23-2021, 10:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Anyone have any new info on this?

Look at the current COVID state and answer your own question: does it look like it is safe to travel around to different institution? 

Programs are still interviewing for this year match/ making rank list. Expect delay on subI apps...but more importantly, this is a year where you need to stay patient and expect last min decision...based on how Covid behaves.
(01-23-2021, 11:31 AM)Guest Wrote:

Look at the current COVID state and answer your own question: does it look like it is safe to travel around to different institution? 

Programs are still interviewing for this year match/ making rank list. Expect delay on subI apps...but more importantly, this is a year where you need to stay patient and expect last min decision...based on how Covid behaves.

I somewhat disagree with this. Yes, case numbers are still really high across the country, but most medical students will be fully vaccinated in the next couple of weeks. Current medical students are doing their clerkships as planned. It may be a last minute decision but I think subIs are more likely than not
(01-23-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

I somewhat disagree with this. Yes, case numbers are still really high across the country, but most medical students will be fully vaccinated in the next couple of weeks. Current medical students are doing their clerkships as planned. It may be a last minute decision but I think subIs are more likely than not

Lmao. Studies show 95% of efficacy. You need more people to get vaccine than just med students...herd immunity. Students are doing clerkship because it is part of their education. They need that to graduate vs subI is more optional...you can’t tell the difference? Again I did not say it is not possible. I say if you look at the current state, it is not...but if you learn nothing so far about covid at least learn that no one can really predict yet what will happen. Also there is a state discrepancy in Term of vaccine distribution and some are covid hot spot..., all programs need to be ok w subI for it to be fair to everyone.
(01-23-2021, 12:57 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

Lmao. Studies show 95% of efficacy. You need more people to get vaccine than just med students...herd immunity. Students are doing clerkship because it is part of their education. They need that to graduate vs subI is more optional...you can’t tell the difference? Again I did not say it is not possible. I say if you look at the current state, it is not...but if you learn nothing so far about covid at least learn that no one can really predict yet what will happen. Also there is a state discrepancy in Term of vaccine distribution and some are covid hot spot..., all programs need to be ok w subI for it to be fair to everyone.

I agree, still way too early to say subIs are likely. A lot of these institutions are playing things very conservatively and only proceed with things when safety is nearly guaranteed
https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-...ency-cycle
(01-27-2021, 12:46 PM)Guest Wrote: https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-...ency-cycle

"These recommendations are intended to add to, but not supersede, the independent judgment of a medical school, sponsoring institution or residency program regarding the immediate needs of its patients and preparation of its learners."

I know that at our program, per our PD, neurosurgery (also ENT and some others) are planning on having Sub-Is again. I think it's going to be program dependent, and the limiting factor will likely be the actual home medical school letting you leave rather than residencies interested in hosting you. If there's a lot of variability, I could see the SNS swooping in and trying to block it again.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)