Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs that surprised you
(01-07-2021, 11:10 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:25 AM)Guest Wrote: also interested in this. thanks!

basically seemed they had maybe 3-4 faculty for ~10 residents and max 1OR running at a time? Didn't even know Jean was leaving. Also, residents on interview day didn't want to comment on their PGY5 absence or the fact they should have two PGY6? And no chairman I also noticed. Also, kind of strange there was no social night when every other program had one.

Please anyone correct me if I am factually incorrect or your interview experience was different than my own!

I was very prepared to dislike GW based on this thread, but the PD was open about all these things at the interview.

Jean is leaving the GW system but residents may rotate with him at his new hospital. They made it sound like this was likely

Similar to Loyola, they commented on the firings and said they cleaned house of the malignant staff and were trying to shift the culture (new PD since March and currently searching for a chair; they have an interim). In both cases, I liked this better than programs that sweep it under the rug for you to find out in July.

I don't know what volume is like (probably why residents are sent all over DC) and the program is definitely in flux/rebuilding, but it didn't feel malignant. Faculty and residents were very nice. Granted, interviews were super short and there was no resident meet and greet. Maybe its because you lowered my expectations, but I wouldn't be unhappy there.

Yeah just wanted to add during the interview today the place definitely seemed like it got wrecked. BUT at least they were open about it and trying. That being said, Jean is going to PA - no way residents are sent there. And I'm pretty sure only the PGY3 go to the Children's Hospital, everyone else at GW. They're volume is from 2-3 full time attendings so you do the math, but tbh they got nowhere to go but up.

I would be careful about banking on rotating with Jean. It's a difficult and long process for residencies to get ancillary sites approved at all and the proposition becomes even more difficult if out of state. Is GW going to foot the bill for you to have medical licenses in both states? I would doubt it (We have been through this at my program). So you will likely have to live with low volume and double/triple scrubbing frequently until they can build up a faculty cohort.

I agree that it means something that they've been open about it. Sometimes it's a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a rebuild while other applicants would be avoiding the program (i.e. Cincinnati, Indiana). A lot can change in 7 years and GW may be well respected by the time you graduate and look for a job. It's a large institution in a large city, the foundation is there for it to be solid.

What is wrong with Cincy? Even w their split from Mayfield, the program is building and current faculties are pretty impressive...nothing compared to top programs but not bad.
thoughts on Emory this year with the PD transition? I heard the volume is great but perhaps malignant?
Loved my interview with Cincy. Despite the Mayfield split they are busier than ever which is unsurprising given that someone like Cheng is at the helm. One of the few programs where it is painfully clear the residents enjoy working together
(01-08-2021, 01:53 AM)Guest Wrote: thoughts on Emory this year with the PD transition? I heard the volume is great but perhaps malignant?

I didn't get any sense of malignancy from them. Definitely super busy though
(01-08-2021, 01:27 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 11:10 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 09:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 08:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote: basically seemed they had maybe 3-4 faculty for ~10 residents and max 1OR running at a time? Didn't even know Jean was leaving. Also, residents on interview day didn't want to comment on their PGY5 absence or the fact they should have two PGY6? And no chairman I also noticed. Also, kind of strange there was no social night when every other program had one.

Please anyone correct me if I am factually incorrect or your interview experience was different than my own!

I was very prepared to dislike GW based on this thread, but the PD was open about all these things at the interview.

Jean is leaving the GW system but residents may rotate with him at his new hospital. They made it sound like this was likely

Similar to Loyola, they commented on the firings and said they cleaned house of the malignant staff and were trying to shift the culture (new PD since March and currently searching for a chair; they have an interim). In both cases, I liked this better than programs that sweep it under the rug for you to find out in July.

I don't know what volume is like (probably why residents are sent all over DC) and the program is definitely in flux/rebuilding, but it didn't feel malignant. Faculty and residents were very nice. Granted, interviews were super short and there was no resident meet and greet. Maybe its because you lowered my expectations, but I wouldn't be unhappy there.

Yeah just wanted to add during the interview today the place definitely seemed like it got wrecked. BUT at least they were open about it and trying. That being said, Jean is going to PA - no way residents are sent there. And I'm pretty sure only the PGY3 go to the Children's Hospital, everyone else at GW. They're volume is from 2-3 full time attendings so you do the math, but tbh they got nowhere to go but up.

I would be careful about banking on rotating with Jean. It's a difficult and long process for residencies to get ancillary sites approved at all and the proposition becomes even more difficult if out of state. Is GW going to foot the bill for you to have medical licenses in both states? I would doubt it (We have been through this at my program). So you will likely have to live with low volume and double/triple scrubbing frequently until they can build up a faculty cohort.

I agree that it means something that they've been open about it. Sometimes it's a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a rebuild while other applicants would be avoiding the program (i.e. Cincinnati, Indiana). A lot can change in 7 years and GW may be well respected by the time you graduate and look for a job. It's a large institution in a large city, the foundation is there for it to be solid.

What is wrong with Cincy? Even w their split from Mayfield, the program is building and current faculties are pretty impressive...nothing compared to top programs but not bad.

That's my point. Cincy is a solid program now. 3-4 years ago people were told to avoid it because of all the issues but if you believed in the chair and the foundation you could have seen it would come back to being a nice program, which it did.
I was Pleasantly surprised by several Midwest programs. Ohio State, Peoria, case western, those especially looked like they had great volume, facilities, attendings, and resources
(01-08-2021, 11:46 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 01:53 AM)Guest Wrote: thoughts on Emory this year with the PD transition? I heard the volume is great but perhaps malignant?

Did they comment on the R25 at all? It looks like it ended about a year and a half ago
(01-09-2021, 11:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 11:46 AM)Guest Wrote:

Did they comment on the R25 at all? It looks like it ended about a year and a half ago

I don't remember hearing about it
any thoughts/interest in west virginia? location seems fun
(01-09-2021, 04:15 PM)Guest Wrote: any thoughts/interest in west virginia? location seems fun

West Virginia is a small town in a middle of nowhere lol...if you like outdoor then sure...but fun?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)