Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs that surprised you
Any programs anyone was surprised by this year, good or bad?
MUSC and Davis both positive
Oklahoma, Iowa, UAB all positive
Positive surprises: UF, HFH, CMC
Peoria positively. Barely even heard of it before applying, but facilities looked nice from the video, case volume seems impressive, attendings and residents seemed competent and normal
Jeff and Rush. Not exactly low-tier programs, but was still impressed by both.
Positive Surprise: UC Davis and Alabama Birmingham -(incredibly solid)
Negative Surprise: George Washington
Been impressed with almost every program. Hard to imagine getting bad training somewhere

Will echo that HFH was super impressive and Allegheny for similar reasons - great staff, cohort, and leadership with high volume and great surgical training
(12-26-2020, 07:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Been impressed with almost every program. Hard to imagine getting bad training somewhere

Will echo that HFH was super impressive and Allegheny for similar reasons - great staff, cohort, and leadership with high volume and great surgical training

Agreed. Haven't interviewed at a place where I felt it was truly a bad vibe. Some didn't feel like great fits for me as a collective personality and career emphasis, but they wouldn't be bad and I imagine the training would still be solid.
(12-26-2020, 07:10 PM)Guest Wrote: Positive Surprise: UC Davis and Alabama Birmingham -(incredibly solid)
Negative Surprise: George Washington

I'm curious - I interviewed with GW and while I thought the program was restructuring for sure (I got that impression from these forums before applying tbh), but I got the vibe that the PD was committed to the residents and to the rebuilding of the program. Was there anything in particular that stuck out to you that you weren't expecting?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)