Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Day Weirdness
(01-24-2021, 01:16 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 12:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 11:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Yes, most are from brand name home programs, but the pandemic did not last four years and is not an excuse for why you were not able to make up for the shortcomings in your application and pursue a serious research program for the three other years you were in medical school. This is the case every year. Just because you came from a shitty school and had the opportunity to do a sub-i at Barrow in any normal year doesn't change the fact that you're still from a shitty school. We no longer live in a world when you can pick up and decide to match into neurosurgery the day after third year ends. This is obviously less relevant if you come from an institution with a track record of successfully matched applicants, but if you don't have that luxury, you will have to 1) work harder to prove your commitment to the field or 2) pick a different specialty. This fact is going to be amplified 1000-fold when Step 1 moves to P/F.

I bet you did not come from a shitty home program. Don’t make judgement so quick.

It’s not only harder to get good research done with worse home programs, but better programs will see you as less than identical and worse candidates from elsewhere (if they don’t pass on your app without reading it in the 1st place). This is probably true in all fields. Competitive programs are competitive. That’s why you see ppl doing a year or two of research at blue chip programs to boost their apps. If you don’t have a year to commit, it’s gonna be harder, but that’s the price of going to a worse school. Obviously there are a number of reasons why ppl go to the school they do, but nsgy is not alone in this.

At the same time, don’t expect MGH or Columbia to seriously read your app if you go to podunk med school

Don’t you have anything better to do than preaching? Nobody says school names don’t matter or you don’t need to work hard or take research year to match better. But at the same time, don’t make judgment...I guess it is difficult for you.
(01-23-2021, 11:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Yes, most are from brand name home programs, but the pandemic did not last four years and is not an excuse for why you were not able to make up for the shortcomings in your application and pursue a serious research program for the three other years you were in medical school. This is the case every year. Just because you came from a shitty school and had the opportunity to do a sub-i at Barrow in any normal year doesn't change the fact that you're still from a shitty school. We no longer live in a world when you can pick up and decide to match into neurosurgery the day after third year ends. This is obviously less relevant if you come from an institution with a track record of successfully matched applicants, but if you don't have that luxury, you will have to 1) work harder to prove your commitment to the field or 2) pick a different specialty. This fact is going to be amplified 1000-fold when Step 1 moves to P/F.

I bet you did not come from a shitty home program. Don’t make judgement so quick.

Why are you at a shitty home program. Poor mcat score/gpa? You’re upset that students at competitive Med schools have an advantage? They likely busted their ass much harder than you since the premed days.. hence why they got into a better Med school. for the youngins on these forums, strive for excellence day one. If you’re at a piss poor Med school and want to land a top nsgy program, it’s just that much more difficult
(01-23-2021, 07:49 PM)Guest Wrote: The name of your home program has mattered every year, and mediocre applicants with good home programs have always been at an advantage. There are plenty of applicants from no name places interviewing at strong programs this year, likely because they have exceptional scores and pursued research opportunities that made up for those perceived deficits. Stop whining and making excuses for having a subpar application

Lol you keep assuming only people at "shitty" home programs with poor applications are complaining. We're just pointing out observations, not whining. I'm doing just fine for interviews. Not sure why you're being defensive about people pointing out prestige bias
I mean if you’re at a brand name program and still complaining about not getting interviews, that’s kind of on you. If you think prestige bias is bad wait til you see how many applicants have a mommy or daddy that’s a neurosurgeon
(01-24-2021, 10:07 AM)Guest Wrote: wait til you see how many applicants have a mommy or daddy that’s a neurosurgeon

This definitely has a big effect
^ nepotism is real
(01-24-2021, 10:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 10:07 AM)Guest Wrote: wait til you see how many applicants have a mommy or daddy that’s a neurosurgeon

This definitely has a big effect

Massive effect (~double the interviews with a equal or less competitive application)

Prestige also is something that should not matter, but always does. Nobody is saying that it's fair - so many people go to state schools due to financial incentives. 

At the end of the day, we can whine on an anonymous forum or just play the cards we are dealt in this fucked up game and once we are neurosurgeons, we can try and do something about this.
(01-24-2021, 01:33 AM)Guest Wrote:

Why are you at a shitty home program. Poor mcat score/gpa? You’re upset that students at competitive Med schools have an advantage? They likely busted their ass much harder than you since the premed days.. hence why they got into a better Med school. for the youngins on these forums, strive for excellence day one. If you’re at a piss poor Med school and want to land a top nsgy program, it’s just that much more difficult

Damn I hope you will not be co resident. You are just so judgmental.

This is the most insensitive, uninformed, and elitist comment on this site, you should be ashamed of yourself. So much of medical school choice is financial in origin. I am an attending at a top 10 program and I can say that without a doubt I have seen residents from prestigious schools come through and be extremely lazy and entitled due to being spoon fed opportunities their whole lives while more often than not, students from smaller schools come through and bust their asses inside and outside the OR to be the best they can be - because that's what they had to do in order to get here in the first place. 

I implore you take time to examine your own privilege and reevaluate how you see future colleagues in this profession.

^ lol found the guy whose daddy paid for everything but he/she still thinks they made it on their own two feet! Pat yourself on the back homie, mommy and daddy are so proud of you! 

For those of us that live in reality, most well adjusted humans can realize medical school choice is much more than best scores go to more academic tiered programs, and as many have stated its usually family/financial based. A lot of the match process comes down to luck as well and PERSONALITY. You can be a monster applicant on paper from a high tier med school with big numbers/research, but if you are a twat you get black listed very quickly, happens every year. Plenty of great programs have residents that did not go to medical school at ivy leagues. 

But don't you worry, you don't need to listen to this forum my guy, daddy will make sure everything works out ok Smile

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)