Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Day Weirdness
(01-24-2021, 04:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Agreed, but there are 100+ nsgy programs in the US that place people into academics and academic fellowships so the argument is stupid on its face.

Just match somewhere. Almost every program is good. Then work hard and put everything into achieving your goals. Happiness and success are things we define for ourselves and when you tell ppl at your high school reunion you're a neurosurgeon, they're not going to follow-up with where you went to residency. They'll probably still think you're a nerd. They probably haven't thought about you once since you were 18.

If you're doing nsgy to achieve your dream of going to Harvard, good luck

Agree. I just disagree on how some ignorant students from top programs out there think they work harder than anyone else. Can you imagine working w them?
(01-24-2021, 04:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 03:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Dear HMS or Hopkins arrogant applicant,
This is not about you. If the shoe fits, wear it Smile

I’ll chime in here. I’m from a poor background, and had the (very difficult) choice to stay near family and pay very little in tuition, but chose to go to a top 5 Med school. I’d say for most other specialties, the cheaper option is the way to go. For nsgy, prestige and faculty names matter, and I have benefited greatly from it. Obviously tougher if you don’t know you want nsgy going into Med school like I did. Just don’t be upset years down the line when that 200k or so in debt you saved upfront cost you your “dream” residency down the line. Just My 2 cents

^ 100% this. I took the less debt option and I saw how my classmates and I had to work harder to get our feet in the door, but that's what we chose. I don't think any of us regretted it. It's just the reality of the situation. Nowadays, it seems like most elite med schools are free or heavily subsidized so hopefully this stops being an issue. Same is true for a lot of elite undergrads. I think this problem is slowly on its way out.

That being said, there are tons of great programs out there that aren't necessarily brand names and the biggest factor in your success is you, so I wouldn't get too caught up in it. The important thing is to keep the chip on your shoulder and use it as motivation to be the best you can be

Also agree. I came from basically nothing (I actually got QuestBridge for college, which used to have a requirement of 150% above the poverty line for a family of 4) and ended up extremely fortunate to go to a top med school (albeit with 300K of debt). While there are definitely well-off students here, one of the biggest surprises for me was how many people are from lower-middle class backgrounds. I obviously feel extremely grateful to be here and never felt that I was out of place just because my family didn't have money. A lot of top med schools are placing a big emphasis on diversity (including SES). We have quite a few older students with kids as well.
There are so many other reasons why people chose to go to non-top med schools...just because you end up at better med schools with more publications do not mean you work harder and the ones at non top med schools with less publications do not is the point here.

(01-24-2021, 04:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 04:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Agreed, but there are 100+ nsgy programs in the US that place people into academics and academic fellowships so the argument is stupid on its face.

Just match somewhere. Almost every program is good. Then work hard and put everything into achieving your goals. Happiness and success are things we define for ourselves and when you tell ppl at your high school reunion you're a neurosurgeon, they're not going to follow-up with where you went to residency. They'll probably still think you're a nerd. They probably haven't thought about you once since you were 18.

If you're doing nsgy to achieve your dream of going to Harvard, good luck

Agree. I just disagree on how some ignorant students from top programs out there think they work harder than anyone else. Can you imagine working w them?

Jeez dude get off our Ds already
(01-24-2021, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Dear HMS or Hopkins arrogant applicant,
This is not about you. If the shoe fits, wear it Smile

I’ll chime in here. I’m from a poor background, and had the (very difficult) choice to stay near family and pay very little in tuition, but chose to go to a top 5 Med school. I’d say for most other specialties, the cheaper option is the way to go. For nsgy, prestige and faculty names matter, and I have benefited greatly from it. Obviously tougher if you don’t know you want nsgy going into Med school like I did. Just don’t be upset years down the line when that 200k or so in debt you saved upfront cost you your “dream” residency down the line. Just My 2 cents

^ 100% this. I took the less debt option and I saw how my classmates and I had to work harder to get our feet in the door, but that's what we chose. I don't think any of us regretted it. It's just the reality of the situation. Nowadays, it seems like most elite med schools are free or heavily subsidized so hopefully this stops being an issue. Same is true for a lot of elite undergrads. I think this problem is slowly on its way out.

That being said, there are tons of great programs out there that aren't necessarily brand names and the biggest factor in your success is you, so I wouldn't get too caught up in it. The important thing is to keep the chip on your shoulder and use it as motivation to be the best you can be

Also agree. I came from basically nothing (I actually got QuestBridge for college, which used to have a requirement of 150% above the poverty line for a family of 4) and ended up extremely fortunate to go to a top med school (albeit with 300K of debt). While there are definitely well-off students here, one of the biggest surprises for me was how many people are from lower-middle class backgrounds. I obviously feel extremely grateful to be here and never felt that I was out of place just because my family didn't have money. A lot of top med schools are placing a big emphasis on diversity (including SES). We have quite a few older students with kids as well.
There are so many other reasons why people chose to go to non-top med schools...just because you end up at better med schools with more publications do not mean you work harder and the ones at non top med schools with less publications do not is the point here.

No one has said that. People are just highlighting that a lot of students at top med schools came from humble beginnings and the mantra that everyone at Harvard is rich and privileged is ridiculously false. I knew I wanted to do research and go into academics so I took a risk. I took on a ton of debt, moved across the country away from my extended family and support network, and luckily things worked out. If you choose to go to a lower ranked school to live a comfy life in a familiar place and take on less debt (or because your spouse can't move) then that's fine, but don't begrudge people who don't. There isn't 1 correct way.
(01-24-2021, 05:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote: I’ll chime in here. I’m from a poor background, and had the (very difficult) choice to stay near family and pay very little in tuition, but chose to go to a top 5 Med school. I’d say for most other specialties, the cheaper option is the way to go. For nsgy, prestige and faculty names matter, and I have benefited greatly from it. Obviously tougher if you don’t know you want nsgy going into Med school like I did. Just don’t be upset years down the line when that 200k or so in debt you saved upfront cost you your “dream” residency down the line. Just My 2 cents

No one has said that. People are just highlighting that a lot of students at top med schools came from humble beginnings and the mantra that everyone at Harvard is rich and privileged is ridiculously false. I knew I wanted to do research and go into academics so I took a risk. I took on a ton of debt, moved across the country away from my extended family and support network, and luckily things worked out. If you choose to go to a lower ranked school to live a comfy life in a familiar place and take on less debt (or because your spouse can't move) then that's fine, but don't begrudge people who don't. There isn't 1 correct way
Someone did. Can you read? Also no one is holding grudge here...just a simple discussion until someone thinks they work harder because they are at top schools. Also there are more reason than just comfy lives and low debt. Some of you are very obvious traditional students without responsibilities or real life experiences.
Just a word of advice to you, if you're going to showcase your personality disorder while trying to stay anonymous on a message board frequented by hundreds of your colleagues, make sure that English isn't your second language
Neurosurgery generally is a field that rewards merit but let’s not pretend like nepotism and “diversity” don’t play a role in the match.
This thread is a dumpster fire
(01-24-2021, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Just a word of advice to you, if you're going to showcase your personality disorder while trying to stay anonymous on a message board frequented by hundreds of your colleagues, make sure that English isn't your second language

Unlike you, I have a life...I half-ass responded and did not spend my time editing my post...if you have nothing better to say to make your argument, don’t turn around and attack people on their writing/language. I will give you a benefit of the doubt and think if you make it this far, you are better than this. Now go enjoy your time w your family/life instead of wasting your time arguing with random stranger.
(01-24-2021, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 06:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Just a word of advice to you, if you're going to showcase your personality disorder while trying to stay anonymous on a message board frequented by hundreds of your colleagues, make sure that English isn't your second language

Unlike you, I have a life...I half-ass responded and did not spend my time editing my post...if you have nothing better to say to make your argument, don’t turn around and attack people on their writing/language. I will give you a benefit of the doubt and think if you make it this far, you are better than this. Now go enjoy your time w your family/life instead of wasting your time arguing with random stranger.

That's the most coherent thought you've had all day. I would suggest you do the same.
(01-24-2021, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

Nah, nevermind

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)