Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Impressive / Least Impressive
(02-13-2021, 11:32 PM)Guest Wrote: ^ thanks rush resident

lol
(02-15-2021, 10:49 AM)Guest Wrote: Women ruined neurosurgery.

Why?
(02-13-2021, 02:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:35 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm so sorry about your struggles as a white male. Please tell me more!

If you're truly incapable of recognizing that it can at least be frustrating to feel like you worked hard and are hurt by your race/gender then you need to grow up. Obviously white males have had things the easiest of every possible demographic but the above poster wasn't really arguing against that.

I can guarantee that every single person here who is not white and/or not male has experienced working hard and being hurt by their race/gender.
(02-13-2021, 09:59 PM)Guest Wrote: 1. Just because someone posts their (lower than avg for nsgy) step score and says they experienced less regional bias and were female, does not mean the sole difference that opened them up to more interviews was their sex. Way more goes into an app that makes people want to interview you.
2. Just because a program makes a point to interview underrepresented groups does not mean they proportionally match those groups every year. The demographic of the interviewers are more likely to subconsciously “vibe” with those who they see similar traits to either themselves or their residents. A program can interview 50% women and still continually not match women. Same goes for minority groups, openly lgbtq, etc. Some programs are doing a continually better job at both hiring and matching a more diverse group, but many are not. There are changes that need to start at a departmental level before they can be reflected at a residency level. Every applicant faces struggles and is still deserving to get a position they’ve worked hard for, but there are significant barriers to minority groups that start during interviews and last throughout their career. Neurosurgery as a whole is extremely competitive and everyone is facing interview/match struggles. Be respectful of everyone’s struggles and don’t blame yours on other candidates’ perceived “URM attractiveness”.

OP here. Funnily enough I didn’t mean to put the female sign. I put in the “shrugging shoulders” apple/mac emoji and that’s how it turned out when I posted (thanks neurosurgery hub). Now I log on and there are 3 pages on how women ruined neurosurgery and the plight of the white male. Good god. I was just trying to say I didn’t have regional bias.
(02-15-2021, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 09:59 PM)Guest Wrote: 1. Just because someone posts their (lower than avg for nsgy) step score and says they experienced less regional bias and were female, does not mean the sole difference that opened them up to more interviews was their sex. Way more goes into an app that makes people want to interview you.
2. Just because a program makes a point to interview underrepresented groups does not mean they proportionally match those groups every year. The demographic of the interviewers are more likely to subconsciously “vibe” with those who they see similar traits to either themselves or their residents. A program can interview 50% women and still continually not match women. Same goes for minority groups, openly lgbtq, etc. Some programs are doing a continually better job at both hiring and matching a more diverse group, but many are not. There are changes that need to start at a departmental level before they can be reflected at a residency level. Every applicant faces struggles and is still deserving to get a position they’ve worked hard for, but there are significant barriers to minority groups that start during interviews and last throughout their career. Neurosurgery as a whole is extremely competitive and everyone is facing interview/match struggles. Be respectful of everyone’s struggles and don’t blame yours on other candidates’ perceived “URM attractiveness”.

OP here. Funnily enough I didn’t mean to put the female sign. I put in the “shrugging shoulders” apple/mac emoji and that’s how it turned out when I posted (thanks neurosurgery hub). Now I log on and there are 3 pages on how women ruined neurosurgery and the plight of the white male. Good god. I was just trying to say I didn’t have regional bias.
I posted this comment above (1,2). I’m an applicant and only meant it as a post to defend women and URMs in response to some comments left on this thread. I hope it wasn’t interpreted any other way.
(02-15-2021, 03:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 02:43 PM)Guest Wrote:

I posted this comment above (1,2). I’m an applicant and only meant it as a post to defend women and URMs in response to some comments left on this thread. I hope it wasn’t interpreted any other way.

No no you’re the only normal good human here. Thanks for your comments, I just wasn’t sure what other post to reply to to share that I never meant any of this to happen! Best of luck in the match Smile

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)