Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Impressive / Least Impressive
(01-30-2021, 01:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 10:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 12:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 11:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 09:58 PM)Guest Wrote: y?

Lack of chemistry. Location. Ponce and MTL had completely different philosophies and visions for the program. It felt like it was in the middle of a cultural transition. Still a phenomenal place, just not high enough on my list that I’ll beat the dozen ppl who rank them 1

What do you mean by different philosophies?

This site is so obsessed with BNI. The majority of ppl who interview there aren't ranking them #1 or probably even top 5.

Ponce was very much science/research oriented looking towards the future and MTL was explicitly the opposite. Seems like they want it both ways, but it's not as simple as starting a tumor research center and saying "look we do science best too." This contradiction was evident in the interviewers as well. It felt a little fractured and I'm going with my gut, not with anonymous internet people.

No one program is best for every person. Its a great program, it just wasn't for me.

Thanks for the answer. I'm applying next year and trying to learn as much as I can about all the different programs given our away situation
I think AAMC is saying 1 away rotation should be allowed (https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-...ency-cycle). If you are seriously interested enough in this place to consider ranking #1, I'd do the away there. A Lawton letter would help your application since he's connected in academic neurosurgery and it's such a unique training environment that it might be advantageous to get a 1-month trial period before having to decide whether or not you'd want to sell 7 years of your life to it. Great program but so unique that you really need to visit to understand it.
(01-30-2021, 02:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 12:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 11:18 PM)Guest Wrote: Lack of chemistry. Location. Ponce and MTL had completely different philosophies and visions for the program. It felt like it was in the middle of a cultural transition. Still a phenomenal place, just not high enough on my list that I’ll beat the dozen ppl who rank them 1

What do you mean by different philosophies?

This site is so obsessed with BNI. The majority of ppl who interview there aren't ranking them #1 or probably even top 5.

Ponce was very much science/research oriented looking towards the future and MTL was explicitly the opposite. Seems like they want it both ways, but it's not as simple as starting a tumor research center and saying "look we do science best too." This contradiction was evident in the interviewers as well. It felt a little fractured and I'm going with my gut, not with anonymous internet people.

No one program is best for every person. Its a great program, it just wasn't for me.

Thanks for the answer. I'm applying next year and trying to learn as much as I can about all the different programs given our away situation
I think AAMC is saying 1 away rotation should be allowed (https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-...ency-cycle). If you are seriously interested enough in this place to consider ranking #1, I'd do the away there. A Lawton letter would help your application since he's connected in academic neurosurgery and it's such a unique training environment that it might be advantageous to get a 1-month trial period before having to decide whether or not you'd want to sell 7 years of your life to it. Great program but so unique that you really need to visit to understand it.

Yeah I definitely agree. Behind all the BS of this forum there are some good posts that I'm trying to read to figure out where to play that away card
(01-30-2021, 02:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 02:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 12:05 AM)Guest Wrote: What do you mean by different philosophies?

Yeah I definitely agree. Behind all the BS of this forum there are some good posts that I'm trying to read to figure out where to play that away card

As someone applying this year, regional bias was killer. Definitely do your away in a different region of the country
Regional bias was not killer this year. I'm from the middle of fucking nowhere south and had a mix of east coast/west coast/midwest interviews; recognize a handful of applicants that had success as well
(01-30-2021, 05:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Regional bias was not killer this year. I'm from the middle of fucking nowhere south and had a mix of east coast/west coast/midwest interviews; recognize a handful of applicants that had success as well

Agree
(01-30-2021, 06:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 05:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Regional bias was not killer this year. I'm from the middle of fucking nowhere south and had a mix of east coast/west coast/midwest interviews; recognize a handful of applicants that had success as well

Agree

Almost had the opposite experience, like programs in my region knew to steer clear of my dumb ass
(01-30-2021, 06:11 PM)Guest Wrote:

Agree

Lucky you guys. I got just a single west coast interview as an east coast applicant (although it was a great program). Multiple factors obviously play a role but I think regional bias was definitely more accentuated this year vs. others when you have an applicant's subIs to show you whether they have any bias of where they want to end up.
+3 bad regional bias. I'm an applicant in the west, not a single northeast rotation despite applying to sub-i's there. I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but a lot of my friends felt the same way.

(01-30-2021, 08:00 PM)Guest Wrote: +3 bad regional bias. I'm an applicant in the west, not a single northeast rotation despite applying to sub-i's there. I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but a lot of my friends felt the same way.

Northeast interview**
I don't think regional bias is a thing in this...
^ Think it has more to do with just how many high powered applicants there are taking up all the interview slots

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)