Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank to match?
Ranked to match = you're within the range of ranks that they typically match within i.e. program that historically matches in their top 10 may call everyone in their top 10 telling them they're ranked to match
(02-02-2021, 08:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 07:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 06:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 06:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 04:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Interview 20...no phone call/email...anyone else?

Same. Just sent my #1 email though

I got a call from a smaller program a week ago, however the phrasing was "we were highly impressed by you". Who knows who many other applicants they called or if they are even allowed to say the phrase "ranked to match" explicitly

Exactly and this is why we're told not to put a huge amount of stock into what we hear. Obviously this stuff is standardized so some programs might only call you if you're ranked within their number of slots, some may call half their rank list, some might not call anybody. Even being told you're "ranked to match" isn't necessarily a guarantee that you'd match there

isn't standardized*
Well said^. When emailing programs are you telling them outright you're my #2 or #3, or are you saving that for #1 only and telling the rest they're up there.

Probably more the latter
senior resident, west coast. our program doesn't really care for "you are my top five" or "loved you so much i am ranking you so highly." meaningless.

we do however pay attention to "i am ranking you #1" and this does come up in our rank meeting. imo, don't send an e-mail if you're not ranking us #1. also don't send multiple #1 e-mails as this can and will tank you (has happened). PD's are buddies with a lot of other PD's across the country, and they do discuss things.
(02-03-2021, 12:02 AM)Guest Wrote: senior resident, west coast. our program doesn't really care for "you are my top five" or "loved you so much i am ranking you so highly." meaningless.

we do however pay attention to "i am ranking you #1" and this does come up in our rank meeting. imo, don't send an e-mail if you're not ranking us #1. also don't send multiple #1 e-mails as this can and will tank you (has happened). PD's are buddies with a lot of other PD's across the country, and they do discuss things.

Very good to know, thank you
Ppl always make this claim that people have been tanked for sending multiple #1 emails... What's the real dirt? How exactly has this blown black on med students or is this just an amorphous threat that has been parroted over the years
(02-03-2021, 12:17 AM)Guest Wrote: Ppl always make this claim that people have been tanked for sending multiple #1 emails... What's the real dirt? How exactly has this blown black on med students or is this just an amorphous threat that has been parroted over the years

same resident. take it for what you will then. you've been warned.
(02-03-2021, 12:17 AM)Guest Wrote: Ppl always make this claim that people have been tanked for sending multiple #1 emails... What's the real dirt? How exactly has this blown black on med students or is this just an amorphous threat that has been parroted over the years

It must happen enough that people feel the need to keep saying it.

Telling multiple programs they're your #1 is very much lying so that's one thing
(02-03-2021, 12:20 AM)Guest Wrote:

same resident. take it for what you will then. you've been warned.

Sooo what you're saying is you have no specific data to back up your claim. I obviously understand the implications of lying to what will likely be future fellowship directors, paper and grant reviewers, faculty recruiters, etc., it would just be nice to have this backed up by an actual story for a change
Do programs see our rank lists after submission and where they fell on the list?
I told one they were among the highest rated but after learning more two weeks after saying this, I think they should be closer to the middle out of 18 others.
Last thing I want to do is appear dishonest. Am willing to keep them high on the list if they can view where I put them
(02-03-2021, 03:26 AM)Guest Wrote: Do programs see our rank lists after submission and where they fell on the list?
I told one they were among the highest rated but after learning more two weeks after saying this, I think they should be closer to the middle out of 18 others.
Last thing I want to do is appear dishonest. Am willing to keep them high on the list if they can view where I put them

No but they will see where you match. So if they rank you to match, and you told them they were your #1, and you end up elsewhere, it will be clear what happened.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)