Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just cashed out my Bitcoin...second thoughts about continuing with nsgy
OP literally has "fuck you" money. 

If I had that kind of balance and just decided to start residency because whatever, I am almost 100% certain I would end up putting my mouth where my money is.
Mu dad is a wealthy doctor and I can live off inherited money if I desire. I am still pursuing medical schools and neurosurgery. Prestige and status matter, too.
PGY-4 here.

If you love neurosurgery, stick with it. Not for a year. The whole thing.

If someone wrote me a check for $11M, I'd like to think I wouldn't quit (If I wasn't in prison for refusing to pay the taxes or something). I'd probably have a nicer place, maybe a Tesla, more help etc... But if you leave, you can't buy your way back into all the crazy shit we get to do. I think a lot of us would agree "I hate being a neurosurgery resident it's awesome."

If you'd rather become a VC or Angel investor or consultant or drink on a beach, you probably don't LOVE neurosurgery. It's OK to like it and not love it. It's even OK to love it and leave it because it will never love you back (neurosurgery does not love you back, it's an abusive relationship).

Maybe take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself if you're relieved you don't *have* to do this job or if you're pumped about how less worried you are about the hardship that accompanies *getting* to do this job.

You've got a good problem. Make a good decision. Congrats either way.
(02-24-2021, 07:55 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY-4 here.

If someone wrote me a check for $11M, I'd like to think I wouldn't quit (If I wasn't in prison for refusing to pay the taxes or something). I'd probably have a nicer place, maybe a Tesla, more help etc... But if you leave, you can't buy your way back into all the crazy shit we get to do. I think a lot of us would agree "I hate being a neurosurgery resident it's awesome."

If you'd rather become a VC or Angel investor or consultant or drink on a beach, you probably don't LOVE neurosurgery. It's OK to like it and not love it. It's even OK to love it and leave it because it will never love you back (neurosurgery does not love you back, it's an abusive relationship).

Maybe take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself if you're relieved you don't *have* to do this job or if you're pumped about how less worried you are about the hardship that accompanies *getting* to do this job.

One of the rare gems of a post that keeps me coming back to this weird site. Thank you
(02-24-2021, 08:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:55 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY-4 here.

One of the rare gems of a post that keeps me coming back to this weird site. Thank you

Agreed. Great post
(02-24-2021, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Mu dad is a wealthy doctor and I can live off inherited money if I desire. I am still pursuing medical schools and neurosurgery. Prestige and status matter, too.

Though OP did invest inherited money, he turned it into 11 mil rather than just splashing out and burning through it in a year...most people would've have said investing in crypto back in 2014 was an extremely stupid financial decision. 

All of the people that got rich of crypto are the ones that were smart and visionary enough to actually understand what it was before everybody else did, and that in itself is a testament to their intelligence. 

Simply living off inheritance is not the same. OP got skills that others (especially risk averse physicians) do not.
Dude. I know this thread is a few days old, but if I were you I’d step away and never look back. To anyone here saying they rather be in the OR than driving around in a lambo in Miami enjoying life chasing tail; you’re fucking gay. I love being a resident; I love what I do; but not more than I love doing actually fun shit. Don’t let these fucking nerds get in your head OP — they’d all quit if they were you; but they ain’t you. Fuck em! Hope you matched well bro.
(04-05-2021, 11:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Dude. I know this thread is a few days old, but if I were you I’d step away and never look back. To anyone here saying they rather be in the OR than driving around in a lambo in Miami enjoying life chasing tail; you’re fucking gay. I love being a resident; I love what I do; but not more than I love doing actually fun shit. Don’t let these fucking nerds get in your head OP — they’d all quit if they were you; but they ain’t you. Fuck em! Hope you matched well bro.

Don't get me wrong, but that lifestyle gets old quickk tho when it's ALL you do.. I would live in a great condo, buy a nice car, watch, finish up residency and pick a job based solely on location since income doesn't matter anymore. Operate in nice pp gig that doesn't work you too hard, and then of course enjoy my free time traveling, chasing tail in miami in my lambo, while investing in side gigs that interest me.
(04-05-2021, 11:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Dude. I know this thread is a few days old, but if I were you I’d step away and never look back. To anyone here saying they rather be in the OR than driving around in a lambo in Miami enjoying life chasing tail; you’re fucking gay. I love being a resident; I love what I do; but not more than I love doing actually fun shit. Don’t let these fucking nerds get in your head OP — they’d all quit if they were you; but they ain’t you. Fuck em! Hope you matched well bro.

From Miami. $11M isn't enough to do that long term.
Interesting discussion. I've been in private practice for close to 8 years now, and I have invested a substantial amount into GME stock since mid January. So far, it's worked out great, and it's only a matter of time until the short squeeze provides me with some serious wealth. I like neurosurgery, but I also greatly enjoy life outside of work. Happy problems, I guess.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)