Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just cashed out my Bitcoin...second thoughts about continuing with nsgy
Hey all. Long time lurker. Currently a US M4 at a mid-tier institution. Had 15+ interviews and jived well with many programs. Good stats, and in theory I have a decent shot at matching based on numbers alone. 

I bought Bitcoin like two years after I started medical school (I’m MD/PhD, so started in 2014). Used money that my grandma gave me (roughly 150,000 USD) and dumped it all in. I got in for about 470 USD per Bitcoin, and just yesterday cashed out 75 percent of my earnings. In total, before taxes, 75 percent of my gross earnings came out to north of 10m.

Before this Bitcoin jump of 2020, I was sitting on maybe 3m?  not enough to retire on. But now I have 11M (before taxes), plus the other 25 percent I still have in the Bitcoin came. I feel like a dickwad turning down a potential match offer, but am unsure if I’m down to stick with 7 years of hard knocks residency when I’m financially in a place that allows me to a do a lot of other fun things...

My question is: do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel, or do i back out early given that I’m already feeling some type of way?

I always thought I couldn’t be happy doing anything else, that the OR is my happy place, and that I wouldn’t trade a chance at nsgy for anything...now I’m wondering if that was just something I convinced myself into believing to motivate myself to get the stats I got. Thanks for the opinions; and to the asshole who want to diss me; knock it off. I got lucky. Yea. I get it.
I'd wait it out. Sure, that's a lot of money. It would take 10+ years for an average private neurosurgeon to accumulate that much wealth; or maybe even longer? But, no amount of money can buy you a career in neurosurgery. Plus, what are you going to do if you quit? A different specialty? Or just up and quit altogether? You can piss all that money away really quick if you aren't investing and start buying silly things...
(02-12-2021, 01:22 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd wait it out. Sure, that's a lot of money. It would take 10+ years for an average private neurosurgeon to accumulate that much wealth; or maybe even longer? But, no amount of money can buy you a career in neurosurgery. Plus, what are you going to do if you quit? A different specialty? Or just up and quit altogether? You can piss all that money away really quick if you aren't investing and start buying silly things...

I beg to differ, it is not a matter of if you will quit, but a matter of when. When you do not absolutely HAVE to punish yourself, particularly during junior residency, you will ask yourself why are you doing neurosurgery. While a totally normal reaction we all have, most of your colleagues do not have a secure exit option as 11M cash. At that point, you will then quit and leave your co-residents holding the bag with regard to call/schedule etc. Life is short, go ahead and enjoy. With your MD/PhD background there are a multitude of options including start-ups, consulting, VCs that can keep you intellectually stimulated without 7 years to become a clinical neurosurgeon.
(02-12-2021, 12:41 PM)LuckyDoc Wrote: Hey all. Long time lurker. Currently a US M4 at a mid-tier institution. Had 15+ interviews and jived well with many programs. Good stats, and in theory I have a decent shot at matching based on numbers alone. 

I bought Bitcoin like two years after I started medical school (I’m MD/PhD, so started in 2014). Used money that my grandma gave me (roughly 150,000 USD) and dumped it all in. I got in for about 470 USD per Bitcoin, and just yesterday cashed out 75 percent of my earnings. In total, before taxes, 75 percent of my gross earnings came out to north of 10m.

Before this Bitcoin jump of 2020, I was sitting on maybe 3m?  not enough to retire on. But now I have 11M (before taxes), plus the other 25 percent I still have in the Bitcoin came. I feel like a dickwad turning down a potential match offer, but am unsure if I’m down to stick with 7 years of hard knocks residency when I’m financially in a place that allows me to a do a lot of other fun things...

My question is: do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel, or do i back out early given that I’m already feeling some type of way?

I always thought I couldn’t be happy doing anything else, that the OR is my happy place, and that I wouldn’t trade a chance at nsgy for anything...now I’m wondering if that was just something I convinced myself into believing to motivate myself to get the stats I got. Thanks for the opinions; and to the asshole who want to diss me; knock it off. I got lucky. Yea. I get it.

Do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel? --> If you match, you have to abide by at least a 1-year contract. I don't know how much it will cost if you don't.
(02-12-2021, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 12:41 PM)LuckyDoc Wrote: Hey all. Long time lurker. Currently a US M4 at a mid-tier institution. Had 15+ interviews and jived well with many programs. Good stats, and in theory I have a decent shot at matching based on numbers alone. 

Do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel? --> If you match, you have to abide by at least a 1-year contract. I don't know how much it will cost if you don't.

I think you have to be objective and ask why do you want to find out your match result. Do you want to be able to say you matched at a top program only to quit as a PGY2? It just seems like vanity from an outside perspective.
(02-12-2021, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote:

I think you have to be objective and ask why do you want to find out your match result. Do you want to be able to say you matched at a top program only to quit as a PGY2? It just seems like vanity from an outside perspective.

I'd argue that there is some value to having matched and then quitting after. Not that OP is planning on doing anything like that guy on Med School Insiders, but the Med School Insiders guy consistently uses the fact that he matched into a plastic surgery residency as a marketing tool; since it demonstrates that he is someone credible to take advice from. Idk, probably a bad reason to subject yourself to the stress of an intern year; and it does take a spot from someone else. So yea; probably should just quit now and go drink pina coladas on your private island.
(02-12-2021, 02:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote:

I'd argue that there is some value to having matched and then quitting after. Not that OP is planning on doing anything like that guy on Med School Insiders, but the Med School Insiders guy consistently uses the fact that he matched into a plastic surgery residency as a marketing tool; since it demonstrates that he is someone credible to take advice from. Idk, probably a bad reason to subject yourself to the stress of an intern year; and it does take a spot from someone else. So yea; probably should just quit now and go drink pina coladas on your private island.
But did that guy on med school insider have 11M? With 11M, you can do a lot of investment without having to go through 7 years of neurosurgery residency (100hr work per week) just to advertise yourself as a neurosurgeon. I am not arguing that it won’t help, but considering where OP is at (11M which is not a lot of people have that advantage), he or she does not need that.
Hi, this is from a PP neurosurgeon perspective. If I was in your position, I would withdraw from the match and pursue some sort of medical consulting. The odds are that you will either match and then not go or quit junior residency. If either of these are true, then you will be forcing a program to fill a spot that they could have normally filled in the match and you are taking away a spot from an applicant who could have matched this cycle.

Beyond all of that, the rigor of neurosurgery isn't worth it if you are going to be second-guessing at every turn and you will be more fulfilled finding ways to grow your own wealth and enjoying life.

You could stick it out for a year, see if you enjoy it, and if you don’t, you can quit and still get your full MD license, which could keep opportunities open to you in the future.
(02-12-2021, 02:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

You could stick it out for a year, see if you enjoy it, and if you don’t, you can quit and still get your full MD license, which could keep opportunities open to you in the future.
^ I second this. Though it really is selfish to take a spot from someone if you don't plan on sticking it out. Problem is, passing Step 3 is the only way you really can use your MD if you want to maintain some type of clinical involvement. Hence why I second this.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)