Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple away rotations in the summer/fall of 2021
Current recommendation from the AAMC (subject to change until April 15th) is that unless required for graduation requirements or due to lack of a home program, we can only do one away rotation starting in August or later. Importantly, it's just a recommendation that does not supersede the judgment of med schools or residency programs, although they do encourage retaliation for multiple away rotations by saying "Residency programs are encouraged to take into consideration if a learner exceeded the one-away-rotation limit during the residency selection process." 

Is there any consensus yet as to whether or not residency programs are likely to be bothered by applicants doing more than one away rotation, for example one in August and another in September? I imagine that neurosurgery will be on the forefront of bringing back multiple away sub-i's given how important it is to determine good fit in a field like this.

On another note, any hints about whether we'll have to do 8-week home sub-i's again, or a general surgery rotation like last year?
(02-17-2021, 11:04 AM)Guest Wrote: Current recommendation from the AAMC (subject to change until April 15th) is that unless required for graduation requirements or due to lack of a home program, we can only do one away rotation starting in August or later. Importantly, it's just a recommendation that does not supersede the judgment of med schools or residency programs, although they do encourage retaliation for multiple away rotations by saying "Residency programs are encouraged to take into consideration if a learner exceeded the one-away-rotation limit during the residency selection process." 

Is there any consensus yet as to whether or not residency programs are likely to be bothered by applicants doing more than one away rotation, for example one in August and another in September? I imagine that neurosurgery will be on the forefront of bringing back multiple away sub-i's given how important it is to determine good fit in a field like this.

On another note, any hints about whether we'll have to do 8-week home sub-i's again, or a general surgery rotation like last year?

Not yet. Wait for the SNS decision.
(02-17-2021, 11:06 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 11:04 AM)Guest Wrote: Current recommendation from the AAMC (subject to change until April 15th) is that unless required for graduation requirements or due to lack of a home program, we can only do one away rotation starting in August or later. Importantly, it's just a recommendation that does not supersede the judgment of med schools or residency programs, although they do encourage retaliation for multiple away rotations by saying "Residency programs are encouraged to take into consideration if a learner exceeded the one-away-rotation limit during the residency selection process." 

Not yet. Wait for the SNS decision.

Any telling when that'll come out?
Neurosurgery is not on the "forefront" of anything. Last year's application cycle was an uncoordinated disaster. Just look at the threads on this forum as a harbinger of 2021. ENT and ortho are light years ahead of this field (preference signaling platforms, coordinated interview invite dates)
(02-17-2021, 12:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Neurosurgery is not on the "forefront" of anything. Last year's application cycle was an uncoordinated disaster. Just look at the threads on this forum as a harbinger of 2021. ENT and ortho are light years ahead of this field (preference signaling platforms, coordinated interview invite dates)

100% agree. There's a bad relative neglect with application processes in neurosurgery when compared to the more innovative patient care research this field does
(02-17-2021, 12:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Neurosurgery is not on the "forefront" of anything. Last year's application cycle was an uncoordinated disaster. Just look at the threads on this forum as a harbinger of 2021. ENT and ortho are light years ahead of this field (preference signaling platforms, coordinated interview invite dates)

Neurosurgery is likely on the forefront of desperation to get sub-i's back up and running given how absolutely critical a component of the application it is in this field. Doesn't mean it'll be well-coordinated, but it may mean that it could be the first field (or in the first cohort of fields) to allow multiple sub-i's when other fields more conservatively and slowly re-open sub-i opportunities.
Have schools opened up applications for sub-i's prior to April 15? Seems like in prior years people were applying to sub-i's much earlier. Just want to make sure I haven't missed the train!
(03-13-2021, 03:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Have schools opened up applications for sub-i's prior to April 15? Seems like in prior years people were applying to sub-i's much earlier. Just want to make sure I haven't missed the train!

Email places you’re interested in and ask if they’ll be taking sub-I’s. Even if they aren’t, you’ll be on their “interested enough to apply” list. Now is the perfect time to reach out to program coordinators
Just looking. Too late?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)