Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Dr. Charles Bagley Jr. Neurosurgery Research Fellow - University of Maryland
Dear all, please consider applying to a new position being offered by the University of Maryland Department of Neurosurgery:

Neurosurgery Research Fellow

Type: Full-time
Location: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
Period: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits

Description: The University of Maryland Department of Neurosurgery is seeking a qualified candidate to become the inaugural Dr. Charles Bagley Jr. Neurosurgery Research Fellow. Dr. Bagley was an early contributor, with colleague and mentor Dr. Harvey Cushing, to the field of neurosurgery in North America.  Dr. Bagley started the Neurosurgery service at the University of Maryland Hospital (previously  called the “Baltimore Infirmary of Medical University”) in 1930, and promoted scholarship and innovation to improve the neurosurgical care of patients. The Bagley Fellow will engage in clinical research in the Department, with the goal of advancing ideas and information to improve neurosurgical techniques and patient care. It is expected the Fellow will maintain current clinical databases, and build and maintain new databases derived from the busy clinical practices at the University of Maryland. In collaboration with our research team, the Fellow will leverage these datasets to explore unanswered and new clinical questions. Current neurosurgery residents and faculty are actively engaged in many projects to which the Fellow will have the opportunity to contribute.  In addition, the most successful fellows may bring new ideas to explore and create additional projects with the neurosurgery research team. Access to clinical data is available in the specialties of neurotrauma/neurocritical care, brain and skull base tumors, open and endovascular neurosurgery, functional and epilepsy neurosurgery, and spine surgery.  If the Fellow plans to apply for residency training in neurosurgery or another specialty, letters of recommendation can be provided based on performance. The Fellow will not be responsible for any direct patient care.

To apply: Please submit the following

Cover Letter
Curriculum vitae
Two letters of recommendation
USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK score reports

Qualifications:

Medical school graduate OR current U.S. Medical Student
Passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK exams
Prefer strong background in database management and familiarity with statistics
Prefer track record of successful scholarship in neurosurgery or related disciplines

Apply here: Job Description - Neurosurgery Research Fellow (2100006J) (taleo.net)
This is yet another attempt to hire someone for the purposes of research scut work, without admitting that it’s actually scut. Any competent applicant with good USMLE scores doesn’t need junk positions like this to match into neurosurgery, which means this basically boils down to preying on desperate poorer quality applicants who will do anything to get into the field, but who truthfully still won’t match even after working at this position, and will have just wasted a year.

This is essentially the neurosurgery version of a predatory loan
(02-18-2021, 09:12 AM)Guest Wrote: This is yet another attempt to hire someone for the purposes of research scut work, without admitting that it’s actually scut. Any competent applicant  with good USMLE  scores doesn’t need junk positions like this to match into neurosurgery, which means this basically boils down to preying on desperate poorer quality applicants who will do anything to get into the field, but who truthfully still won’t match even after working at this position, and will have just wasted a year.

This is essentially the neurosurgery version of a predatory loan

My thoughts exactly when seeing this post lol
I don't believe that^. My research year at my home institution still felt like a lot of scut (chart reviewing on chart reviewing) but it gave me an attending who will actually have my back after I proved I could put in the work. Yes you don't need it to match, but you need something like this if you want to match at the "top" places.
(02-18-2021, 11:06 AM)Guest Wrote: I don't believe that^. My research year at my home institution still felt like a lot of scut (chart reviewing on chart reviewing) but it gave me an attending who will actually have my back after I proved I could put in the work. Yes you don't need it to match, but you need something like this if you want to match at the "top" places.

Agree on the research year thing. Did the same and it really let me build strong relationships w/ two attendings who then have advocated strongly for me throughout the cycle. However, this Maryland one looks suspicious in that it is asking for Step 2 CK and lists medical school graduate first. It smells kind of like a post for an international medical graduate. Having talked with some IMGs at my home institution, those positions are highly variable in how predatory they are. Some absolutely give the IMGs a shot at getting a residency spot, which would not otherwise be possible. But some positions make the promise of hooking the IMG up w/ a residency spot at the end, but ultimately turn out to be a predatory position where the IMG functions as a data gathering/scut work person and ultimately has nobody to go to bat for them at the end of the day. So I'd argue that a certain amount of skepticism is warranted, though this posted position may very well be one of the good ones.
(02-18-2021, 11:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 11:06 AM)Guest Wrote: I don't believe that^. My research year at my home institution still felt like a lot of scut (chart reviewing on chart reviewing) but it gave me an attending who will actually have my back after I proved I could put in the work. Yes you don't need it to match, but you need something like this if you want to match at the "top" places.

Agree on the research year thing. Did the same and it really let me build strong relationships w/ two attendings who then have advocated strongly for me throughout the cycle. However, this Maryland one looks suspicious in that it is asking for Step 2 CK and lists medical school graduate first. It smells kind of like a post for an international medical graduate. Having talked with some IMGs at my home institution, those positions are highly variable in how predatory they are. Some absolutely give the IMGs a shot at getting a residency spot, which would not otherwise be possible. But some positions make the promise of hooking the IMG up w/ a residency spot at the end, but ultimately turn out to be a predatory position where the IMG functions as a data gathering/scut work person and ultimately has nobody to go to bat for them at the end of the day. So I'd argue that a certain amount of skepticism is warranted, though this posted position may very well be one of the good ones.

Bizarre they want to hire an unmatched US grad or an IMG instead of a MS in Statistics who would likely be of much greater use to the department long term.
This pretty transparently seems like an ad for an IMG or unmatched US grad. They need research experience, Maryland needs a number cruncher, it works for everyone. The promises research experience and I expect that's what they'll deliver. Not nearly as sketchy as the "pre-residency fellowships" IMO. Depts around the country are full of potential neurosurgeons doing this work not under the auspices of a formalized "fellowship".

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)