Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List by work hours
Pittsburgh has historically been a great operative program. Haven't seen anything to change that. Lots of great faculty to work with. A resident could have nicer housing in Pittsburgh vs many other cities due to the low cost of living.
(05-13-2017, 09:59 PM)Guest Wrote: Pittsburgh has historically been a great operative program. Haven't seen anything to change that. Lots of great faculty to work with. A resident could have nicer housing in Pittsburgh vs many other cities due to the low cost of living.

Yeah but you'd have to live in the Pitt, a shithole where Primanti Brothers is considered good eats.
howabout we talk about other programs we get it pitts got pros and cons some people love it some people hate it and one random poster hates immigrants
Does anyone have thoughts on Texas programs? I've heard in Houston, UT residents have the worst hours, Methodist is in the middle, with Baylor considered "cush" by comparison
(05-13-2017, 06:04 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm an applicant this cycle and after all of the drama revolving around Pitt, I have sense declined my invitation for an away rotation and will not be applying to the residency program. The anti-Chinese propaganda was uncalled for

Every program has drama.  People are airing it out about Pitt because it's a big, busy program that has had turmoil in the last 10-years.

Also, since, not sense.
(05-04-2017, 11:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Is there a general list of programs by how busy you'll be as a resident? Spare me the, if you don't want to do 168 hours/week of neurosurgery you're not cut out for it- I get it. I'm asking because not all hours are the same, and hours matter at a certain level. I'd rather not be spending 10 extra hours a week doing the work of an NP/PA, and convince myself that's what neurosurgery is all about. There is something to be said about efficiency.

I keep hearing talk about Emory, that it's program hours are one of the highest. I also hear about Yale, it's a quieter program. Is there a list for this kind of thing?

I'm very interested in doing research, my home program has basically zero research. I don't think I could train at program like that.

I guess I'm asking for a list of "gentleman's programs"

I know, here comes the heat.

I too am looking for an easy residency where I don't learn to operate.  Is Michigan still 36-hour weeks?
A reasonable way to calculate; look at the # of residents per year and the # of beds that they cover. Generally, if you are covering at a ratio of more than 1 resident:500 beds per year, you will have time to do other things. If you are in a 2 resident/year program with a responsibility for 2000 beds across 4 hospitals, you will be very busy clinically.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)