Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List by work hours
By all external appearances, he's great. Friedlander did a residency at MGH and later was faculty at the Brigham (Both programs are known for a strong cranial surgery focus and training surgeon-scientists) prior to taking on the Pittsburgh job. By accounts, his added emphasis on basic science was a nice counter balance to the clinical powerhouse that Pittsburgh has always been. In the past seven years, has been successful in recruiting and graduating the large resident complement at Pitt. It is no small feat to organize such a large department and to help find jobs for 4 graduating residents per year. As to surgical skills, an insider would have to provide that information.

As an aside, the academic work at UPMC of recent years has been done in the context of a major battle between UPMC and Highmark (which bought AGH) in the Pittsburgh region.
(05-08-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: By all external appearances, he's great. Friedlander did a residency at MGH and later was faculty at the Brigham (Both programs are known for a strong cranial surgery focus and training surgeon-scientists) prior to taking on the Pittsburgh job. By accounts, his added emphasis on basic science was a nice counter balance to the clinical powerhouse that Pittsburgh has always been. In the past seven years, has been successful in recruiting and graduating the large resident complement at Pitt. It is no small feat to organize such a large department and to help find jobs for 4 graduating residents per year. As to surgical skills, an insider would have to provide that information.

As an aside, the academic work at UPMC of recent years has been done in the context of a major battle between UPMC and Highmark (which bought AGH) in the Pittsburgh region.

Friedlander is a good chairman and has done a solid job with the program. I will say that some of the appeal of UPMC comes from training under Lunsford.
(05-08-2017, 09:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Paul Gardner, John Lee, Laligam Sekhar, Leland Albright, Greg Thompson.

LMFAO. Poor Pitt resident think Gardner, Lee and Levy are big neurosurgeons. Your Gardner still learns from his father Amin Kassam who you can call a big skull base surgeon. Put Sekhar separately because he did his first part in Cincinnati and was a full neurosurgeon before he came to your Pitt.

(05-08-2017, 11:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: By all external appearances, he's great. Friedlander did a residency at MGH and later was faculty at the Brigham (Both programs are known for a strong cranial surgery focus and training surgeon-scientists) prior to taking on the Pittsburgh job.  By accounts, his added emphasis on basic science was a nice counter balance to the clinical powerhouse that Pittsburgh has always been.  In the past seven years, has been successful in recruiting and graduating the large resident complement at Pitt.  It is no small feat to organize such a large department and to help find jobs for 4 graduating residents per year.  As to surgical skills, an insider would have to provide that information.

Friedlander is a good chairman and has done a solid job with the program. I will say that some of the appeal of UPMC comes from training under Lunsford.

I have noticed for a while that Pitt residents infiltrate these message boards. I know you guys don't see each other and split among many hospitals that you rarely see each other or make it to M&M. Tell me what basic science did your chair do for your department? He failed to keep the PhD scientist from Japan and left for UCSF. He was your best scientist with 4-5 R01 grants. Friedlander failed to keep (Kondziolka) the real thinker of GK and he left for NYU. He failed to recruit the appropriate replacements and the Dean punished him by decreasing his administrative power and give it to several faculties as vice-chairs.
So says the heckler who has never written a paper.
What happened; did you get turned down for a sub I at Pitt?
(05-13-2017, 12:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 09:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Paul Gardner, John Lee, Laligam Sekhar, Leland Albright, Greg Thompson.

LMFAO. Poor Pitt resident think Gardner, Lee and Levy are big neurosurgeons. Your Gardner still learns from his father Amin Kassam who you can call a big skull base surgeon. Put Sekhar separately because he did his first part in Cincinnati and was a full neurosurgeon before he came to your Pitt.

(05-08-2017, 11:00 PM)Guest Wrote: By all external appearances, he's great. Friedlander did a residency at MGH and later was faculty at the Brigham (Both programs are known for a strong cranial surgery focus and training surgeon-scientists) prior to taking on the Pittsburgh job.  By accounts, his added emphasis on basic science was a nice counter balance to the clinical powerhouse that Pittsburgh has always been.  In the past seven years, has been successful in recruiting and graduating the large resident complement at Pitt.  It is no small feat to organize such a large department and to help find jobs for 4 graduating residents per year.  As to surgical skills, an insider would have to provide that information.

I have noticed for a while that Pitt residents infiltrate these message boards. I know you guys don't see each other and split among many hospitals that you rarely see each other or make it to M&M. Tell me what basic science did your chair do for your department? He failed to keep the PhD scientist from Japan and left for UCSF. He was your best scientist with 4-5 R01 grants. Friedlander failed to keep (Kondziolka) the real thinker of GK and he left for NYU. He failed to recruit the appropriate replacements and the Dean punished him by decreasing his administrative power and give it to several faculties as vice-chairs.

I have never hidden that Im a Pitt resident. Hence "rezzy"

Your comments are understandable given the fact that you are not from the US.
http://pgbovine.net/chinese-english-mistakes.htm
(05-13-2017, 04:43 PM)Guest Wrote:

Your comments are understandable given the fact that you are not from the US.
http://pgbovine.net/chinese-english-mistakes.htm

Da fuck with this racist wandering through all the threads calling everyone Chinese/non American? What is the purpose of this, ya old POS?
Troll bashing Pitt neurosurg because he wants to match there. Program is one of the strongest in the nation. It was a little better run when Lunsford was chair.
I'm an applicant this cycle and after all of the drama revolving around Pitt, I have sense declined my invitation for an away rotation and will not be applying to the residency program. The anti-Chinese propaganda was uncalled for
1) What is this I don't even
2) Grain of salt its the internet
3) ?????
4) Profit!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)