Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayo Rochester hours?
(03-05-2021, 02:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 01:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:36 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo and BNI are elective surgery programs. Save for vascular transfers there just isn't a lot of population nearby to generate emergency surgeries. That kind of setup tends to result in a lower workload. UMich may also be that way.

Not a lot of population nearby in downtown Phoenix? Lol (5th highest in USA)

Agree. What a dumb statement above. 1.7M Phoenix...if this is not enough then what is enough?

Re: Mayo, I think this poster meant Mayo Rochester (population ~125,000 for city/250,000 metro). However, I think the point is valid in that unless you want to be a critical care person or a trauma doc, having a lot of non-elective stuff isn't critical to becoming a top notch neurosurgeon. I mean the emergent cases are epidural/subdural bleeds (decompressive crani w/ big flap --> not super complex surgeries), ruptured aneurysms (skills developed for elective aneurysm coiling are similar to those for emergent coiling; biggest difference is critical care management of the emergent cases), tumor with epidural spinal cord compression (Mayo rochester is definitely getting you spine tumor experience), and spine fracture (techniques for screw placement + lami are similar to elective --> critical care component is the big difference). I'm sure other parallels can be drawn. And BNI is right near the I-10/I-17 interchange, so I guarantee they are still getting enough trauma to make you familiar with it. Maybe they send the epidural tumors to Mayo Phoenix or Banner/U of A (don't know if that is the case). Regardless, I think that if you're dying to be the trauma neurosurgeon/critical care person, you'd be better served by going to a program that does a lot of trauma e.g. UW (Harborview), Miami/Jackson Memorial, Pitt, Jefferson, USC/LA county.

Mayo Phoenix is not a trauma center - their residents (all specialties) have to rotate at other hospitals to get trauma experience/exposure
So if I understand correctly, you get a good 80 hour week, right? That sounds great for me, and reading elsewhere that seems to be the case.
(03-05-2021, 01:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:36 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo and BNI are elective surgery programs. Save for vascular transfers there just isn't a lot of population nearby to generate emergency surgeries. That kind of setup tends to result in a lower workload. UMich may also be that way.

Not a lot of population nearby in downtown Phoenix? Lol (5th highest in USA)

Agree. What a dumb statement above. 1.7M Phoenix...if this is not enough then what is enough?

Did I mention that I am from Phoenix? It is a matter of placement not population. BNI is located off of central avenue and is part of a primarily commercial district. There is very little residential population nearby on account of that classic urban flight that we learned about in social studies. Traumas go to the nearest appropriately leveled trauma center. There are numerous level one trauma centers located within the major population centers of Phoenix that encircle the BNI, so unless you get in a car wreck on grand avenue you are probably not going to end up at the BNI. This is the same with Mayo Rochester due to the nearby by level 1 trauma centers in the twin cities. Please see attached a map of trauma centers and note how they encircle the BNI.

traumacentersmap.pdf (azdhs.gov)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)