Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who inspired you?
So much of this forum is just anonymous name dragging and ego boosting. Hopefully medical students will understand that this is a profession that can have moments of selflessness. What was the moment, mentor conversation, or patient encounter that made you fall in love with the profession?
Watching a video of essential tremor resolving on placement of a DBS lead
Money and presteige. What else?
I got this high in the OR watching a crani turn and seeing the brain pulsating. That high never went away. I love being the first in the hospital, having my notes done before other services are even awake. The efficiency, fast pace, and high expectations allow me to thrive. The ritual of scrubbing in never gets old. The highs are high, the lows are devastatingly low but emotionally there is never a dull moment. The personalities are tough and militaristic in the way we conduct ourselves and respect a rigid hierarchy.

And goddamit do I hate my masochistic self for loving every moment of this shit.. I could’ve had an easy life but every other specialty bored me to death or just didn’t have that “feel” that I question if I’d even do medicine if it weren’t for neurosurgery.
(03-09-2021, 08:28 PM)Guest Wrote: I got this high in the OR watching a crani turn and seeing the brain pulsating. That high never went away. I love being the first in the hospital, having my notes done before other services are even awake. The efficiency, fast pace, and high expectations allow me to thrive. The ritual of scrubbing in never gets old. The highs are high, the lows are devastatingly low but emotionally there is never a dull moment. The personalities are tough and militaristic in the way we conduct ourselves and respect a rigid hierarchy.

And goddamit do I hate my masochistic self for loving every moment of this shit.. I could’ve had an easy life but every other specialty bored me to death or just didn’t have that “feel” that I question if I’d even do medicine if it weren’t for neurosurgery.

Great answer, you sound like an old-fashioned surgeon. These new diverse woke gays and chicks who go into NS nowadays don't write this like.
(03-09-2021, 05:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Watching a video of essential tremor resolving on placement of a DBS lead

Actually similar for me lol

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)