Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanford
How did Stanford accept 4 residents this year? Is volume increasing with Lim and JFM? Is the program on the up and up?
No. One of their PGY-2's quit so they backfilled.
Whyd they quit?

Yikes
(03-21-2021, 02:18 PM)Guest Wrote: Whyd they quit?

Yikes

https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-neuro...-p1668.xml

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]The results of this study aligned with those from previous studies determining PGY as a variable in attrition. Prior studies have also observed the highest rates of attrition during PGYs 1–3.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)] The observed attrition from residents during their first two PGYs may represent a disconnect between students’ expectations of neurosurgical residency and their actual experience. Sullivan et al. analyzed a cohort of PGY-1 and PGY-2 general surgery residents to determine the attitudes of residents who left their surgical residency program. This study found that PGY-1 and PGY-2 residents in the attrition group reported concerns regarding the length of training required, personal sacrifice, and an unanticipated toll on their personal life.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)] The concerns expressed by these residents emulate a shifting paradigm in resident expectations regarding lifestyle and work-life balance. Medical student and resident concerns over lifestyle have been well characterized in the literature. Despite students reporting lifestyle and work hours as important considerations for career choice, attrition among residents is still associated with these factors. This may represent either an inadequate exposure to the realistic lifestyle of a neurosurgical resident or a lack of clarity regarding the challenges associated with the specialty.[/color]
My understanding is that it wasn't at all culture related and the program was very supportive of helping the resident figure things out. I think ppl who've interviewed and rotated there can attest to that
(03-21-2021, 06:27 PM)Guest Wrote: My understanding is that it wasn't at all culture related and the program was very supportive of helping the resident figure things out. I think ppl who've interviewed and rotated there can attest to that

Agreed. Leaving as a junior resident isn't uncommon and isn't usually malignancy or something related (although it can be). Usually people just realize they liked the idea of neurosurgery more than neurosurgery itself, or the junior hours are physically/mentally taxing to a degree that they need to prioritize their health, or something happens in their persona life.
Will you come out a good surgeon from Stanford?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)