Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match 2021
(03-25-2021, 12:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 12:14 AM)Guest Wrote: hey yeah it's me! i love the supportive environment we're cultivating in the field!! 1) went abroad by choice not necessity - gave me some awesome opportunities for medical outreach and global health involvement 2) can't change who my parents are, but very inspired by them daily and if anything have had to try to prove myself above and beyond because of that and have felt apprehensive about the match for exactly this reason 3) I'm not sure how this conversation is productive in any way, and was quite disheartened by this whole thread. any kind of imposter syndrome you guys feel, imagine that times 1000 and that's what it is like to be related to some incredible names in medicine.

Unsure why I felt the need to justify any of these posts with a response, however I would hope maybe in the future some of you might give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially if you haven't met them, or maximum met them during an interview environment online lol. Feel free to send me an email - as was mentioned above it's literally on the spreadsheet - if you'd like to have a more positive discussion, and not just shit talk on an anonymous forum.

For whoever I seemed to offend by my application this year and the match outcome, I do apologize and wish you success and happiness in any of your future endeavors.

I was following and agreeing with you defending yourself until you said you have a 1000x harder. Seriously? Lol

1000x more imposter syndrome I think is what they said!
Every year there are neurosurgeon kids that apply. Not really imposter syndrome but no way to truly be in equal playing field with other applicants. But anyone in that position would take the advantage. You can be an excellent applicant but the only way to get rid of the advantage is to change your name. And that may not work since you were raised around neurosurgeons so people will visibly recognize you as their friends kid. Some places think it’s cool to train “so and so’s” kid so no matter what it’s a huge edge and you won’t be judged in an unbiased way. I think the applicants in that position are aware and avoid applying to places where their parents work etc to decrease the nepotism/unfair talk.
^ yes thats what I meant, sorry if I was unclear! Only meant that having a big name, esp in neurosurgery, as a parent only heightens that self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy.

Okay done with this website, apologies again to those that I've seemed to upset.
One day all of you complaining will have kids of your own who will benefit from the exact nepotism you are complaining of now should they apply neurosurgery. To target the above applicant is.. unnecessary. I’m first gen neurosurgeon of a family of immigrants. I had it easier than my parents, My kids will have it easier than me, and my grandkids.. and so forth. Such is life, which is unfair at its very core. Accept this notion early in your career and you will be a much less angry/petty individual moving forward.
(03-25-2021, 01:36 AM)Guest Wrote: One day all of you complaining will have kids of your own who will benefit from the exact nepotism you are complaining of now should they apply neurosurgery. To target the above applicant is.. unnecessary.  I’m first gen neurosurgeon of a family of immigrants. I had it easier than my parents, My kids will have it easier than me, and my grandkids.. and so forth. Such is life, which is unfair at its very core. Accept this notion early in your career and you will be a much less angry/petty individual moving forward.

That’s not very woke of you
(03-25-2021, 01:13 AM)Guest Wrote: Every year there are neurosurgeon kids that apply. Not really imposter syndrome but no way to truly be in equal playing field with other applicants. But anyone in that position would take the advantage. You can be an excellent applicant but the only way to get rid of the advantage is to change your name. And that may not work since you were raised around neurosurgeons so people will visibly recognize you as their friends kid. Some places think it’s cool to train “so and so’s” kid so no matter what it’s a huge edge and you won’t be judged in an unbiased way.  I think the applicants in that position are aware and avoid applying to places where their parents work etc to decrease the nepotism/unfair talk.

In defense of some that what you are espousing. BNI match had possibly the most impressive application of all applicants this year. 
Others failed step 1, couldn’t get into a US, medical school, had no research to speak of, and matched at a placed affiliated with  their chairman father.
(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 01:13 AM)Guest Wrote: Every year there are neurosurgeon kids that apply. Not really imposter syndrome but no way to truly be in equal playing field with other applicants. But anyone in that position would take the advantage. You can be an excellent applicant but the only way to get rid of the advantage is to change your name. And that may not work since you were raised around neurosurgeons so people will visibly recognize you as their friends kid. Some places think it’s cool to train “so and so’s” kid so no matter what it’s a huge edge and you won’t be judged in an unbiased way.  I think the applicants in that position are aware and avoid applying to places where their parents work etc to decrease the nepotism/unfair talk.

In defense of some that what you are espousing. BNI match had possibly the most impressive application of all applicants this year. 
Others failed step 1, couldn’t get into a US, medical school, had no research to speak of, and matched at a placed affiliated with  their chairman father.

BNI also matched the son of a Neurosurgeon this year, idk what you're talking about
(03-25-2021, 08:18 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)Guest Wrote:

BNI also matched the son of a Neurosurgeon this year, idk what you're talking about
Yes and he was very impressive. Was trying to say he in no way should be compared to this other nebulous neurosurgeon progeny that is causing consternation on this thread.
Sounds so whiny
This is ridiculous. If you're pissed with where you matched, do better and work harder. It's not like all 50 spots at top programs were filled my chairmens' children and its not like a department cares who your parents are when they need you to help run the service. See the mess that's happened at Columbia for that very reason (not to say the resident wasn't also a great candidate). Curious to see what happens at Brown. Great candidate and great PD, but a difficult situation for the same reason.

It's similar to how the children of doctors were at an upper hand getting into med school and legacies have an upper hand getting into undergrad. There's no way to truly judge someone's character without lots of exposure so personal connections will always matter more. Be better. Do better. Don't blame the world for acting on you. Blame yourself for not acting on the world.

This thread has turned into personal attacks and a pity party. Sorry to the applicant who was called out. I'm sure you'll make an awesome resident and a great surgeon

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)