Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.42 Average
Programs by Strength
(05-09-2017, 09:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 08:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 08:34 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 07:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 04:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Indiana is heavily operative too.

Second this.

But still a small program. It's not going to change to a big program just because you matched there. Stay away. Carolinas have a large volume, but still a small program too.

I think a lot of people would love to train at IU assuming you can tolerate Midwestern living. Good volume, good faculty, solid research. Sure it's not Barrow but it'll provide solid training for academic or community practice.
What is midwestern living? Asking as someone who has never lived in the Midwest before.

Boring AF.  No culture.  White people everywhere.

Second this.

But still a small program. It's not going to change to a big program just because you matched there. Stay away. Carolinas have a large volume, but still a small program too.

I think a lot of people would love to train at IU assuming you can tolerate Midwestern living. Good volume, good faculty, solid research. Sure it's not Barrow but it'll provide solid training for academic or community practice.

No, don't think please. Most don't want to train in Indiana as a program or live in India-no-place (FYI, people historically mock Indianapolis with India-no-place). Most failed to match high on their list and ended up at your IU. Solid research huh? It's no more than a large private group that makes a small program.

Please stop making your program IU or other programs top or desirable just because you matched there.
(05-09-2017, 10:28 PM)Guest Wrote:

Second this.

No, don't think please. Most don't want to train in Indiana as a program or live in India-no-place (FYI, people historically mock Indianapolis with India-no-place). Most failed to match high on their list and ended up at your IU. Solid research huh? It's no more than a large private group that makes a small program.

Please stop making your program IU or other programs top or desirable just because you matched there.

This is probably written by a Columbia/Stanford/Vandy PGY-7 that still can't do a laminectomy without attending supervision. IU is not the best but still an above average program.
I didnt interview at IU but I have good friends there and have visited. It is more than a small private practice group. Good training good resources nice group of people.
(05-09-2017, 10:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 07:44 PM)Guest Wrote: This is probably written by a Columbia/Stanford/Vandy PGY-7 that still can't do a laminectomy without attending supervision. IU is not the best but still an above average program.

This is what I'd like to avoid. I would rather be a great surgeon than a great scientist if I had to choose.

Second this.

Its a shame that this forum falls victim to trolling like this above, I can't help but picture a bunch of middle-schoolers laughing to themselves at their computers as they post garbage like the above comment.

Of course location is about the most subjective component of desirability of a program.

I went to IU for med school. When I was applying I did not apply to any programs in NYC because I knew that was not the lifestyle I wanted, even as I know it is what others dream of. I ranked IU very highly and was very impressed with most aspects of the place. Traditionally more of a community based program, it is now waxing far more academic with their current Chairman Dr. Barbaro (now for the last 4/5 years) being the longtime previous program director of UCSF... They certainly seem to be matching a lot more MD/PhDs these days. The operative exposure/autonomy was better than most programs that I saw, but it was very resident dependent, with opportunity for those who naturally learn fast in the OR progressing very quickly to functioning as the lead surgeon in many advanced cases, while others struggled to gain their confidence because of their own personality etc.

I matched to another program that receives a fair bit of buzz on this feed and could not be happier with where I am at. But Indiana is a good place. I become more convinced every time I read convos like this one that the majority of medical students pass far too much ignorant judgment on programs they don't know and put wa too much stock in "name-brand" above all other values of a program (I'll admit that I was guilty of that as an applicant and ended up surprised by my experiences as a sub I and interviewee)

Good luck and hope you all can weed through these common pitfalls
Extremely well stated...could not agree more.
Yeah you couldn't agree anymore because you are a loser and just want someone to give you false hopes like kids. FYI, your IU went very low in their list this match so probably you wouldn't have matched at any place. Nick Barbaro went there just because no other program offered him a chair position and he wanted to become a chair before he retires. If you are lying on him now, don't be that excited because he will retire before you graduate.

Just focus on thriving in India-No-Place and stop making it the best program in the world or compare it with other programs because your IU doesn't have any history in neurosurgery and won't have a future. Leave us in peace here and focus on your shit
(05-11-2017, 11:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah you couldn't agree anymore because you are a loser and just want someone to give you false hopes like kids. FYI, your IU went very low in their list this match so probably you wouldn't have matched at any place. Nick Barbaro went there just because no other program offered him a chair position and he wanted to become a chair before he retires. If you are lying on him now, don't be that excited because he will retire before you graduate.

Just focus on thriving in India-No-Place and stop making it the best program in the world or compare it with other programs because your IU doesn't have any history in neurosurgery and won't have a future. Leave us in peace here and focus on your shit

Haha! I could not think of a better confirmation for the sentiment in the first line of the longer comment above regarding trolls and middle-schoolers!

I know am falling guilty to feeding a troll here, but I just can't understand what is the motivation for the above comment if not just to be inflammatory. Its a bizarre mix to speak as if you have the inside knowledge of a residency program director, but communicate with all the elegance of a trucker writing on a bathroom stall

While I see this is entertaining for you, it has the chance of actually being valuable for other people. Please stop brining down the quality of this forum
(05-11-2017, 11:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah you couldn't agree anymore because you are a loser and just want someone to give you false hopes like kids. FYI, your IU went very low in their list this match so probably you wouldn't have matched at any place. Nick Barbaro went there just because no other program offered him a chair position and he wanted to become a chair before he retires. If you are lying on him now, don't be that excited because he will retire before you graduate.

This is either Berger mudslinging at Barbaro for leaving UCSF or a high-school kid who just read Gifted Hands and thinks that Hopkins is still the premier training program in the country.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)