Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
Do not sub-i at the barrow, better chances to match if you interview well and played sports. If you didnt play sports dont apply to barrow. If you have high research aspirations dont apply to barrow. If you want to be a badass private surgeon who talked about sports all residency then go to barrow, or do ortho.
(03-25-2020, 05:04 PM)Guest Wrote: If you have high research aspirations dont apply to barrow. If you want to be a badass private surgeon who talked about sports all residency then go to barrow, or do ortho.

OP speaks harshly, but truly.
I hear they are trying to poach top spine talent from UCSF
(03-25-2020, 05:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Do not sub-i at the barrow, better chances to match if you interview well and played sports. If you didnt play sports dont apply to barrow. If you have high research aspirations dont apply to barrow. If you want to be a badass private surgeon who talked about sports all residency then go to barrow, or do ortho.
Thanks for the fake news man. 
1.) 3 of the 4 applicants who matched at Barrow this cycle sub-I’d there. 2.) I just recieved an email from their residency coordinator who confirmed they are still accepting sub-I’s this year (as of now). 3.) They just matched another MD/PhD and have the second highest residency H-Index of any NSGY program. 4.) Yes many of them do appear to be athletes / have interests outside of medicine - not sure when started to be considered a bad thing. 

Thanks for contributing your uniformed opinion though... helpful.
(03-25-2020, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 05:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Do not sub-i at the barrow, better chances to match if you interview well and played sports. If you didnt play sports dont apply to barrow. If you have high research aspirations dont apply to barrow. If you want to be a badass private surgeon who talked about sports all residency then go to barrow, or do ortho.
1.) 3 of the 4 applicants who matched at Barrow this cycle sub-I’d there. 2.) I just recieved an email from their residency coordinator who confirmed they are still accepting sub-I’s this year (as of now). 3.) They just matched another MD/PhD and have the second highest residency H-Index of any NSGY program. 4.) Yes many of them do appear to be athletes / have interests outside of medicine - not sure when started to be considered a bad thing. 

Well they are not accepting application right now until 7/1/2020 per VSAS
(03-25-2020, 08:36 PM)Guest Wrote:

Barrow residents are very sensitive about their reputation
The credentialing for our medical students who come for SubIs is completed by Creighton Medical School.  I learned yesterday (thanks to this discussion, thank you!) that Creighton is “delaying the start of our visiting student application process.  At this time, we do not have an anticipated date for accepting visiting student applications.”  

We are, however, accepting applications *directly*.  You can email or call Marinela, contact info below. Through this mechanism, you can get to the point where you have a confirmed subI spot.  When the COVID shutdown passes and the “visiting student application process” resumes, then that last step through Creighton (which includes submission of information needed for credentialing) will merely be a technicality.  

The only situation I could foresee where we “won't be taking sub-i's this cycle” would be if *nobody* takes sub-i’s this cycle.

Marinela Mrizi
Academic Project Coordinator
BNI Medical Education Office

‪602-406-8371 (O)‬
‪602-230-4085  (F)‬

Marinela.Mrizi@DignityHealth.org

https://www.barrowneuro.org/education/gr...nternship/

‪Thanks,‬
‪Francisco Ponce

This is stupid. If you want to go somewhere, then you should do a sub-i there.

Reasons to rotate somewhere:
-You want to go there
-You think a letter from that institution will carry good weight
-You want to establish a geographical preference
-You want to develop experience/technical skills in the OR as a med student

I rotated at Barrow, and then ended up matching at one of my other later sub-i programs.
Looking back, I got more hands-on experience in the OR at Barrow as a med student than most places do their whole intern year. 
On my next rotation I got lots of compliments "not bad for a med student", "looks like someone taught you a thing or 2 in the OR", probably resulted in a more favorable opinion of me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/well/...erity.html
Completely agree. Better operative experience seen during my sub-I there than anywhere in the country. Is it perfect for everyone's (sometimes naive) stated interest as an MS4? Of course not.

From the article: “What makes a great surgeon is unrelenting practice.” So, you can complain about "athletes" (read: people with tangible interests that include things other than neurosurgery) or make light of "private surgeon" training. However, academic neurosurgery is filled to the brim with people who enjoy "talking about neurosurgery", but who out of residency couldn't operate their way out of a wet paper bag because they spent 7 years triple-scrubbing laminectomies. Barrow tends to train surgeons who enjoy...being surgeons.
(03-29-2020, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Completely agree. Better operative experience seen during my sub-I there than anywhere in the country. Is it perfect for everyone's (sometimes naive) stated interest as an MS4? Of course not.

From the article: “What makes a great surgeon is unrelenting practice.” So, you can complain about "athletes" (read: people with tangible interests that include things other than neurosurgery) or make light of "private surgeon" training. However, academic neurosurgery is filled to the brim with people who enjoy "talking about neurosurgery", but who out of residency couldn't operate their way out of a wet paper bag because they spent 7 years triple-scrubbing laminectomies. Barrow tends to train surgeons who enjoy...being surgeons.

Some of the most talented neurosurgeons are in academic medicine

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)