Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chiller/Broey programs
Hey all, what are some of the chiller/non malignant neurosurgery programs out there? I know they are a lot of malignant personalities in neurosurgery and I would generally love to avoid programs where a vast majority of faculty and staff are malignant.
Emory. If you can deal with the volume the people are chill
(04-03-2021, 10:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Emory. If you can deal with the volume the people are chill

Pitt, Barrow, Miami, Cinci, UVA, Memphis, LSU.. souththern/Midwestern programs in general more blue collar
(04-03-2021, 10:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 10:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Emory. If you can deal with the volume the people are chill

Pitt, Barrow, Miami, Cinci, UVA, Memphis, LSU.. souththern/Midwestern programs in general more blue collar

I enjoy reading these misinformed posts. Almost all of these programs including Emory are among the most malignant programs in country from leadership to resident culture. Barrow is the only exception in this list.

Listen guys. Pitt is nothing. Just a wannabe program that inherited some endoscopic techniques from Kassam and their prominent lab graduates Prevedello and Juan, neither has completed residency at Pitt. Their residents are invading these forums so badly.
I think there's a distinct difference between "non-malignant" and broey. If you're looking for a good resident culture where the people are nice and you're treated well (my definition of non-malignant), check out Barrow, Mayo Clinic, Michigan, U Wisconsin, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic.

I'm sure there are more, these are just the places I had experiences with rotating at, second looking, or interviewing/doing more research on. There are certain programs where the residents are tight with one another, but that may be because the program they're at is devastating from an hours standpoint. I do think it's important to look at culture/malignancy separately from lifestyle (hours), since there are places with an excellent culture/camaraderie that work hard (like USC) and others with both bad hours and bad culture.
Anyone that thinks you don’t get pounded into the earth at Pitt is ignorant. Their residents looks like they haven’t seen the light of day in years. It’s a great program with a lot of innovators and their recent grads have done great, but it’s probably the most intense/malignant place I saw on the trail. There’s camaraderie among residents, but you don’t do 9000 cases/yr without doing 9000 discharges and post-ops per year. Also one of the attendings choked a resident? Just be careful what you read on here

Places with awesome resident culture in addition to above were CWRU, Yale, UNC, Cornell, Allegheny

Would not put UVA and Miami on that list, even though they’re great programs, just as I wouldn’t put Emory on that list. None of those programs are “chill”
(04-04-2021, 09:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Anyone that thinks you don’t get pounded into the earth at Pitt is ignorant. Their residents looks like they haven’t seen the light of day in years. It’s a great program with a lot of innovators and their recent grads have done great, but it’s probably the most intense/malignant place I saw on the trail. There’s camaraderie among residents, but you don’t do 9000 cases/yr without doing 9000 discharges and post-ops per year. Also one of the attendings choked a resident? Just be careful what you read on here

Places with awesome resident culture in addition to above were CWRU, Yale, UNC, Cornell, Allegheny

Would not put UVA and Miami on that list, even though they’re great programs, just as I wouldn’t put Emory on that list. None of those programs are “chill”

What happened to that attending?
Pitt is not a “bro” location. It’s intensely malignant
(04-04-2021, 09:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Anyone that thinks you don’t get pounded into the earth at Pitt is ignorant. Their residents looks like they haven’t seen the light of day in years. It’s a great program with a lot of innovators and their recent grads have done great, but it’s probably the most intense/malignant place I saw on the trail. There’s camaraderie among residents, but you don’t do 9000 cases/yr without doing 9000 discharges and post-ops per year. Also one of the attendings choked a resident? Just be careful what you read on here

The gems keep coming in this thread lol. You're putting Yale and Cornell in the same league as Pitt?
(04-03-2021, 10:53 PM)Guest Wrote:

Saturday morning conferences. Nuff said.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)