Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid letter of rec from senior attending or glowing one from more junior attending
(04-08-2021, 01:42 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 04:13 PM)Focus Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 07:22 AM)Focus Wrote: Ask them to cosign a letter written by junior attending.

Woah game changer.. is that a common thing? Would definitely be the best of both worlds

(04-07-2021, 07:22 AM)Focus Wrote: Ask them to cosign a letter written by junior attending.

Is this rude to the junior attending? i.e. 'your name doesn't have enough power for me to want a standalone letter from you'

And/or rude to the senior attending? i.e. 'I don't think you'll write me a good enough letter on your own so I'll just ask you to cosign a good one'

If the junior guy wants you to succeed he or she will be okay with it because they want you to have the most support. The senior guy will be okay with it because he or she doesn't need to spend their valuable time on it. In short, it is not rare. Maybe 2 or 3 percent of letters I see are co signed by two attendings. Tell them the truth. You only have room for one more letter but would love both of their support

Beautiful advice, this makes a lot of sense. Would you recommend broaching the topic with the Jr attending first?

Yes

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)