Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 score vs P/F comparison
(04-14-2021, 02:04 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 02:01 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:52 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 11:49 PM)Guest Wrote: 210s and 220s matched this year with strong research pedigrees

Where there's a will there's a way

what is considered a "good research" for an applicant. is the average number just a bunch of people submitting abstracts & posters?

also any insights on quality vs quantity and cohesive research topic vs any topic available in the department
Yes, the average number includes a lot of abstracts and posters. The real average (last I checked, like 1-2 years ago), is between 4 and 5 actual published manuscripts.

In general, go for quantity. Few people will be looking into the impact factors of your papers' journals. Caveat is that it's always nice to have one or two very impressive papers in the mix that you can discuss more thoroughly in interviews/etc. And of course, if you've done a lot of basic science, esp a phd, should have some high impact papers, needless to say.
What's gonna happen in the 2023 match? It's gonna be a mix of cohorts with step 1 score or P/F. Will PD use step 2 score for screening?
(08-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Guest Wrote: What's gonna happen in the 2023 match? It's gonna be a mix of cohorts with step 1 score or P/F. Will PD use step 2 score for screening?

bump... please share insights!
(08-21-2021, 08:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Guest Wrote: What's gonna happen in the 2023 match? It's gonna be a mix of cohorts with step 1 score or P/F. Will PD use step 2 score for screening?

Not an attending/PD but I'm a senior resident that will be reviewing applications for the 3rd year.

We usually summarize apps into a small vignette that can be placed on a single slide. All that will change is the STEP scores section will either say the score you had, or Pass and Step 2 score, or Pass, Pending if you haven't taken step 2. The screening is done by a large group of residents and attendings who screen WHOLE apps, not just scores. 

We will use whatever exam scores we're given in the same way we always do. If there is only a Pass on Step 1 we will use the STEP 2 score in its place, if there's no STEP 2 or STEP 1 score then much more weight will be put on your clinical and pre-clinical grades. If your med school grades are also P/F, then all of the weight will go into your publications, AOA, extracurriculars, and LoRs.

What's disappointing about all of this to me is it feels like all of the weight will shift toward the most subjective measures. I hated how my clinical grades were decided in medical school (sometimes only 10% exam, and 90% if your attending liked you), and AOA also felt unfair, it wasn't just performance but highly political at my school. Publications are also skewed towards the schools with the most resources, it feels like applicants from Hopkins and UCSF just have to use the neurosurgery office restrooms and walk out with 10 pubs. Same with LoRs. I feel for applicants coming from weak or no home programs, or foreign applicants. Through no fault of their own they're now at a huge disadvantage.
(08-21-2021, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:

Not an attending/PD but I'm a senior resident that will be reviewing applications for the 3rd year.

We usually summarize apps into a small vignette that can be placed on a single slide. All that will change is the STEP scores section will either say the score you had, or Pass and Step 2 score, or Pass, Pending if you haven't taken step 2. The screening is done by a large group of residents and attendings who screen WHOLE apps, not just scores. 

We will use whatever exam scores we're given in the same way we always do. If there is only a Pass on Step 1 we will use the STEP 2 score in its place, if there's no STEP 2 or STEP 1 score then much more weight will be put on your clinical and pre-clinical grades. If your med school grades are also P/F, then all of the weight will go into your publications, AOA, extracurriculars, and LoRs.

What's disappointing about all of this to me is it feels like all of the weight will shift toward the most subjective measures. I hated how my clinical grades were decided in medical school (sometimes only 10% exam, and 90% if your attending liked you), and AOA also felt unfair, it wasn't just performance but highly political at my school. Publications are also skewed towards the schools with the most resources, it feels like applicants from Hopkins and UCSF just have to use the neurosurgery office restrooms and walk out with 10 pubs. Same with LoRs. I feel for applicants coming from weak or no home programs, or foreign applicants. Through no fault of their own they're now at a huge disadvantage.

Super kind of you. It gives a better idea.
Is the "scores at which programs almost always grant interviews" a real cutoff or a statistical anomaly because people who have high Step scores nearly always have other stuff too.
What is the score cutoff? What scores do you realistically need for top programs?
>240 is good enough, you won't be filtered out

>250, you will be deemed impressive and turn heads

>260, some programs might think you are socially inept
lol "socially inept"??? Isn't that what the interview is for?
(08-21-2021, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:

thanks a lot for this, great. it really does suck. i go to a DO school and it really does feel hopeless. very limited research, and tons of time spent on omt, so we can't do research even if we had resources. its over.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)