Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 score vs P/F comparison
(08-21-2021, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Guest Wrote: What's gonna happen in the 2023 match? It's gonna be a mix of cohorts with step 1 score or P/F. Will PD use step 2 score for screening?

bump... please share insights!

Not an attending/PD but I'm a senior resident that will be reviewing applications for the 3rd year.

We usually summarize apps into a small vignette that can be placed on a single slide. All that will change is the STEP scores section will either say the score you had, or Pass and Step 2 score, or Pass, Pending if you haven't taken step 2. The screening is done by a large group of residents and attendings who screen WHOLE apps, not just scores. 

We will use whatever exam scores we're given in the same way we always do. If there is only a Pass on Step 1 we will use the STEP 2 score in its place, if there's no STEP 2 or STEP 1 score then much more weight will be put on your clinical and pre-clinical grades. If your med school grades are also P/F, then all of the weight will go into your publications, AOA, extracurriculars, and LoRs.

What's disappointing about all of this to me is it feels like all of the weight will shift toward the most subjective measures. I hated how my clinical grades were decided in medical school (sometimes only 10% exam, and 90% if your attending liked you), and AOA also felt unfair, it wasn't just performance but highly political at my school. Publications are also skewed towards the schools with the most resources, it feels like applicants from Hopkins and UCSF just have to use the neurosurgery office restrooms and walk out with 10 pubs. Same with LoRs. I feel for applicants coming from weak or no home programs, or foreign applicants. Through no fault of their own they're now at a huge disadvantage.

Low step 1 and high step 2 will have a chance in the 2022-2023 match?
Welcome to the real world with politics and subjectiveness. I was asked to leave my residency because of favoritism, "professionalism" was the lame excuse. I could easily get most other residents booted if they weren't liked. Thats the job world, subjective stuff counts more than the objective. You can train many people do to the job, but you can't teach them a personality that doesnt mesh.
(08-21-2021, 03:14 PM)Guest Wrote: Welcome to the real world with politics and subjectiveness.  I was asked to leave my residency because of favoritism, "professionalism" was the lame excuse.  I could easily get most other residents booted if they weren't liked.  Thats the job world, subjective stuff counts more than the objective.  You can train many people do to the job, but you can't teach them a personality that doesnt mesh.

You are not the only one. This is an important lesson. Find your people.
(08-21-2021, 01:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:51 AM)Guest Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 02:56 PM)Guest Wrote: What's gonna happen in the 2023 match? It's gonna be a mix of cohorts with step 1 score or P/F. Will PD use step 2 score for screening?

bump... please share insights!

Not an attending/PD but I'm a senior resident that will be reviewing applications for the 3rd year.

We usually summarize apps into a small vignette that can be placed on a single slide. All that will change is the STEP scores section will either say the score you had, or Pass and Step 2 score, or Pass, Pending if you haven't taken step 2. The screening is done by a large group of residents and attendings who screen WHOLE apps, not just scores. 

We will use whatever exam scores we're given in the same way we always do. If there is only a Pass on Step 1 we will use the STEP 2 score in its place, if there's no STEP 2 or STEP 1 score then much more weight will be put on your clinical and pre-clinical grades. If your med school grades are also P/F, then all of the weight will go into your publications, AOA, extracurriculars, and LoRs.

What's disappointing about all of this to me is it feels like all of the weight will shift toward the most subjective measures. I hated how my clinical grades were decided in medical school (sometimes only 10% exam, and 90% if your attending liked you), and AOA also felt unfair, it wasn't just performance but highly political at my school. Publications are also skewed towards the schools with the most resources, it feels like applicants from Hopkins and UCSF just have to use the neurosurgery office restrooms and walk out with 10 pubs. Same with LoRs. I feel for applicants coming from weak or no home programs, or foreign applicants. Through no fault of their own they're now at a huge disadvantage.

Low step 1 and high step 2 will have a chance in the 2022-2023 match?

Frankly, I was wondering this too. Got a low step score and considering take a gap year and apply to the 2023-2024. Most applicants will have P/F.
ERAS says everyone who took it before 2022 will have a score on their application
(08-21-2021, 06:04 PM)Guest Wrote: ERAS says everyone who took it before 2022 will have a score on their application

The remaining question is PDs use step 1 score for screening.
(08-21-2021, 08:40 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 06:04 PM)Guest Wrote: ERAS says everyone who took it before 2022 will have a score on their application

The remaining question is PDs use step 1 score for screening.

I heard different stories about the 2022-2023 match. Step 2 will be the screening tool. Please someone clarify this.
what happens if you mess up step 2? you are barred from ns?
(09-23-2021, 07:14 PM)Guest Wrote: what happens if you mess up step 2? you are barred from ns?

With step 1 (pass), most likely yes
that is completely fucked up. one test can destroy you

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)