Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Machine learning research in med school
(05-06-2021, 04:37 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 07:08 PM)drstrange Wrote: The likelihood that you will be the first author on an ML project with only a couple of summers to work and no background as an MS1 is slim-to-none. These projects are big, high-risk undertakings that will involve a decent-sized team of people. The senior grad student or postdoc heading the project will undoubtedly get the first authorship and you'll be buried in the middle.

I would personally go for option number #2 and try to head up a project of your own that you will be able to talk about at length. It really does not take long during an interview to figure out if someone was a hanger-on for a project or if they were integrally involved.

Take this advice or leave it. I'm a co-PI on a project with an NIH grant and a patent involving ML for a neurosurgical application, but I'm also an anonymous internet troll so who knows?

Thank you for this reply. I have first-authored a few basic science publications so I kind of know the hang of it. Even a negative result can be spun to a presentation/poster. This is what I was thinking of doing. 

I did not realize that a first-author publication would make such a big difference. 

I will probably speak to both of them, and inquire about a small side project. I can put in 10 hours/week while in med school, and of course, 50+/week on holidays/summer.  

Thank you again. 

Also, if I may ask, but the aggressive tone in the last sentence? I noticed that such language is common here, is it common amongst neurosurgeons?

Thank you again.

It's more common on neurosurgery hub in general. A lot of unprovoked attacking. Well, provoked if you consider "saying something I disagreed with" as a provocation

Let me add - this user's reply wasn't really aggressive, just some sarcasm. There is worse on this website however
(05-06-2021, 05:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 04:37 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 07:08 PM)drstrange Wrote: The likelihood that you will be the first author on an ML project with only a couple of summers to work and no background as an MS1 is slim-to-none. These projects are big, high-risk undertakings that will involve a decent-sized team of people. The senior grad student or postdoc heading the project will undoubtedly get the first authorship and you'll be buried in the middle.

I would personally go for option number #2 and try to head up a project of your own that you will be able to talk about at length. It really does not take long during an interview to figure out if someone was a hanger-on for a project or if they were integrally involved.

Take this advice or leave it. I'm a co-PI on a project with an NIH grant and a patent involving ML for a neurosurgical application, but I'm also an anonymous internet troll so who knows?

Thank you for this reply. I have first-authored a few basic science publications so I kind of know the hang of it. Even a negative result can be spun to a presentation/poster. This is what I was thinking of doing. 

I did not realize that a first-author publication would make such a big difference. 

I will probably speak to both of them, and inquire about a small side project. I can put in 10 hours/week while in med school, and of course, 50+/week on holidays/summer.  

Thank you again. 

Also, if I may ask, but the aggressive tone in the last sentence? I noticed that such language is common here, is it common amongst neurosurgeons?

Thank you again.

It's more common on neurosurgery hub in general. A lot of unprovoked attacking. Well, provoked if you consider "saying something I disagreed with" as a provocation

Let me add - this user's reply wasn't really aggressive, just some sarcasm. There is worse on this website however

Do you have recommendations on the research option? I am still debating. I talked to the basic-science guy and he seems a bit rude.
here

The monogram necklace is gaining acceptance on account of its easy yet sophisticated layout. It comes with a gorgeous spherical, blue, or yellow stones. This necklace is often manufactured with various type of important and semi-valuable stones such as diamonds, pearls, rhinestones, or gems for instance amethyst, turquoise, emerald, or sapphire. These kind of stones could be inscribed on to the monogram bars which make up the necklace. A different well known way to help make this monogram necklace is by attaching monogram beads or monogram letters to your bars which results in a monogram attraction.

Monogramming is really an artwork in by itself. A monogram necklace is usually worn for a symbol of the corporate identity, or even a trend accent. It is also perfect for those who don't understand how to monogram something given that the procedure requires only the use of 1 needle. However, if monogram beads are utilized, then it can only be done on the back portion of the necklace. Both one particular will do.

A monogram disc necklace is truly a gift for anyone. You can also personalize it by monogramming Every of the stones independently, or including monogram beads or monogram letters to every bar. Whatsoever your preference is, it is actually certain to make a wonderful gift.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)