Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did you know you wanted to be a neurosurgeon?
Hi all

Applying to med school and have an opportunity to do an accelerated neurosurg program at a school I like and a program I like. I also however have a full tuition scholarship at my local school and cant decide what to do. I have years of neuroscience background but am not sure I am absolutely committed to neurosurg. I at the moment think I am very interested in it and can't see myself being happy doing something non-neuro related. The school with the full scholarship does not have a strong home program nor do they match many people into neurosurg residencies. Not sure what to do..
Tough call. I know of only 2 accelerated programs and my advice would differ depending on which school we're talking about. In general, I don't like the concept, 4 years of medical school are tremendously helpful in figuring out yourself as well as your future career, even for those who have their eyes on neurosurgery. In your case, you state it's the neurosciences, not necessary neurosurgery that interest you. If you're not absolutely committed, then I'd say don't sign the deal.

On the other hand, if we're talking NYU, it is a fantastic medical school that will set you up for success, and that leaves the option open to hanging on 4th year if you decide against neurosurgery. I'd pick that over a no-name medical school with a full scholarship or the Hershey program, but that is me in my financial framework. The fact that you consider a different school when a full scholarship was offered, makes me think that while the money is tempting, it is not the decisive factor, so I'd go for whatever school is best. Upcoming step 1 p/f is another reason why school rank is and will be key. If you or your family is not struggling, scholarship or not should only be weighed in if you're comparing two schools of the same caliber.
Lastly, neurosurgery is the bomb. If you are ready to invest a lot of your time or are superb in managing it, go for it. I wish you the best
(05-08-2021, 08:53 AM)thoutful Wrote: Hi all

Applying to med school and have an opportunity to do an accelerated neurosurg program at a school I like and a program I like. I also however have a full tuition scholarship at my local school and cant decide what to do. I have years of neuroscience background but am not sure I am absolutely committed to neurosurg. I at the moment think I am very interested in it and can't see myself being happy doing something non-neuro related. The school with the full scholarship does not have a strong home program nor do they match many people into neurosurg residencies. Not sure what to do..

There is your answer right there.

Weak home programs and mentorship can be overcome. What can really set your career back is committing to an extremely demanding specialty and then dropping out. You'll lose years of your life repeating with another residency, or even worse you'll finish neurosurgery and regret it the rest of your life. 

It's also a financial decision. Assuming you don't have a scholarship at accelerated program you're paying at least $100,000, likely closer to $200,000 to have a strong home neurosurgery program. Depends how confident you are in yourself but personally I don't believe that is worth it.
If you are not sure then don't do it. Rad onc or anesthesia are a lot easier.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)