Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYU?
Hi everyone - looking at programs in NY to apply for this coming year. Looks like the consensus is that NYU is the premier NYC training program? Their dept. doesnt' seem to have particularly large names in the field - and looks like they aren't a research oriented program?

Additionally, do residents there have to deal with the scut work associated with the legendary NYC nursing unions and what not?
(05-15-2021, 03:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Hi everyone - looking at programs in NY to apply for this coming year. Looks like the consensus is that NYU is the premier NYC training program? Their dept. doesnt' seem to have particularly large names in the field - and looks like they aren't a research oriented program?

Additionally, do residents there have to deal with the scut work associated with the legendary NYC nursing unions and what not?

Not actually true, those that say this are likely salty they were not interviewed at Columbia and Cornell. The big names, the research, and the legacy at both places speak for themselves.
This changes over the years. But it depends on what you are looking for... Years ago when I came through, NYU was known to be the heavily clinical experience with a great surgical experience and less emphasis on research. I disagree that they don't have big names, they have plenty of faculty that are well respected and well liked across our field. Cornell and Columbia are both are research focused. Columbia has a good number of current chairman across the country (doesn't mean much for an applicant now, but might be nice to have that connection one day when job hunting).

Since I came through, Mount Sinai has grown exponentially. I do not know about their resident experience, but they have a large territory.

Ultimately, you could do a lot worse than to match at NYU, Columbia, or Cornell. Don't let the negativity of this website discourage you from any of the three.
I have heard second hand that the nursing unions can make being a resident frustrating, though only from gen Surg residents and ortho residents, I’ve never actually heard a neurosurgery resident say it caused them any problems. I’ve also known to gen Surg residents that ultimately transferred residencies because they disliked the practice environment in NYC, but again, I’ve never heard of a neurosurgery resident expressing dissatisfaction in that way
Yes. Unions only work against general surgery and ophtho.
All the Manhattan programs are great in their own right and none will keep you from achieving what you want. Sinai is the least established. I'll echo what's been said about Columbia, Cornell, and NYU as far as research vs operative but add that Cornell is the most balanced but with the least national rep of the three. As mentioned above, Columbia is among the top tier of programs for producing chairs. Decide what you want, there is no "premier" NYC program, just a bunch of different and strong places.

As far as union nursing in NYC, its all it's cracked up to be and worse. It's not the personalities, it's the responsibilities. You'll end up drawing blood, transporting patients, and waiting forever for ORs to turnover. The only programs in NYC, Einstein included, that don't use typical union nurses are at NYP (cornell/columbia). That shouldn't be a deciding factor for you, but I've heard many surgical residents in NYC complain about how inefficient things are compared to where they went to med school. They'll keep you busy no matter how few cases you're able to get through in a day
Will you come out a good surgeon from Columbia?
(05-16-2021, 04:21 PM)Guest Wrote: Will you come out a good surgeon from Columbia?

You have the opportunity to. You might have less reps in the OR, or maybe less autonomy as some other operative heavy places but that doesn't prevent you from being a good surgeon. You just will have to put in a bit more effort. But, you will have infrastructure for research that is lacking at other places. It's a trade off. You could alternatively go to one of these recognized high volume/autonomy programs, zone out and be on autopilot (or dodge the OR) for 7 years and come out poorly trained there too.
What is the most balanced NYC program?
Best program in the NE?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)