Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AANS/CNS chair
I understand that in order to become a CNS/AANS chair you need to be an authority in the field and have unique contributions in academic neurosurgery. I am very disappointed to see Alex Valadka, Sacarrow or Shelly Timmons taking these chair positions. Sacarrow spent all his career in private practice. Valadka spent all his career as an owner for a private group in Texas and just moved to his alma mater in Richmond for chair position. Shelly Timmons joined organized neurosurgery 3 years ago and thanks to women in neurosurgery for getting her in the AANS washington committee.

Unfortunately, this beautiful speciality is going to fall apart sooner than later just because of politics and inapproriate biased nominations in organized neurosurgery. Historically, Neurosurgeons are poor scientists but good surgeons. This current generation in organized neurosurgery has poor surgeons and shitty surgeons
The primary vehicle for advancement in the AANS and CNS is time. If you have time, you can devote it to the organizations. You do not need to have made unique contributions to the field but you do need to be committed to the field. Everyone you listed has put in time in their early and mid-career to organized neurosurgery and has earned their place.
The "private" people you list have made immense contributions to Neurosurgery. Being a master surgeon is only one way to give to the Organization...
Dumb answers from dumb people. Those guys didn't contribute anything to the real neurosurgery other than bullshit. None of them operates better than Carson, Sekhar, Al-Mefty or Sen. Can you tell me why none of the latter was a CNS or AANS chair?
Infantile rant.

Because they never showed up.
Its very unfortunate that recent chairs are not master surgeons but private practice guys or ICU attending like Timmons. If you wanted to be great in ICU why the heck did you do neurosurgery in the first place. Only one reason comes to mind bad surgeon spacing himself in critical care.
It is clear from you posts that English is not your first language. I doubt you trained or practice in the US. You clearly don't understand the structure of our national organizations.

(05-13-2017, 04:31 PM)Guest Wrote: It is clear from your posts that English is not your first language.  I doubt you trained or practice in the US.  You clearly don't understand the structure of our national organizations.
AANS/CNS presidents are not 'chairs'. There is no correlation between being a master surgeon and a AANS/CNS president. Being a master surgeon means spending a lot of time in the OR, and comparatively little on organized NS activities. Master surgeons tend to be more focused on their craft versus being the President of the CNS or AANS. Your 'disappointment' at the current state of affairs is misplaced.
I am convinced these boards are taken over by high school students and premeds.

Ben Carson is a "master surgeon"? Really?

And now we're shitting on neurosurgeons in PP? news flash, bro: the majority of neurosurgeons are in PP. once you get into residency and are exposed to all the bullshit that goes on in academic neurosurgery, you'll be dying to get into PP. why the fuck anybody would want to work longer hours for less pay is beyond me. sure, if research is your thing, go for it, but I'd rather be operating rather than pipetting proteins and going to bullshit administrative meetings while making an extra 300k.
(05-26-2017, 12:08 PM)Guest Wrote: I am convinced these boards are taken over by high school students and premeds.

Ben Carson is a "master surgeon"? Really?

And now we're shitting on neurosurgeons in PP? news flash, bro: the majority of neurosurgeons are in PP. once you get into residency and are exposed to all the bullshit that goes on in academic neurosurgery, you'll be dying to get into PP. why the fuck anybody would want to work longer hours for less pay is beyond me. sure, if research is your thing, go for it, but I'd rather be operating rather than pipetting proteins and going to bullshit administrative meetings while making an extra 300k.
What kind of bullshit goes on in academic neurosurgery?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)