Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA: Do not do an away rotation that ends after Sept.
PSA since many applicants seem to not understand this process. This has come up on recent threads, and this should be obvious. Do not do an away subinternship that ends after September.

If you're doing a sub-i that ends after September, it means:

1) It's such a competitive program that pre-application months are all booked up, meaning you don't have a good chance of getting in
2) You won't get a letter of recommendation from that sub-internship, which could tank the rest of your application

Most programs will have unfilled subinternship spots, and many will be completely empty given the applicant clustering at the top. This means that if you are scheduled for a subinternship that ends after September, you should swap it for one at a less competitive program (probably ranked ~#20-25 or lower where there will be more availability) which will dramatically increase your chances of matching this cycle, and matching well.

Y'all need to strategize more. It's not an easy process, and you're not making it easier on yourselves. Good luck.
I’d say don’t even do one that ends any later than mid September. Still have to actually put the app together and people often wait weeks for their letter writers to get things in. Like how are people going to be doing subI hours all of September and then be able to get everything together in like 1 day for the app?
(05-31-2021, 01:10 PM)Guest Wrote: I’d say don’t even do one that ends any later than mid September. Still have to actually put the app together and people often wait weeks for their letter writers to get things in. Like how are people going to be doing subI hours all of September and then be able to get everything together in like 1 day for the app?

100% agreed
(05-31-2021, 01:10 PM)Guest Wrote: I’d say don’t even do one that ends any later than mid September. Still have to actually put the app together and people often wait weeks for their letter writers to get things in. Like how are people going to be doing subI hours all of September and then be able to get everything together in like 1 day for the app?

Prep entire app before September subI. Have 3 letters lined up for submission (home letter, research letters), click submit on 9/15. Have sept subI chair/PD submit LOR as soon as they can after subI. PDs will likely be understanding in getting LORs in as soon as they can. Flip side, PDs likely to be more understanding of letters from sways that come in a little later.
(05-31-2021, 04:36 PM)Guest Wrote:

Prep entire app before September subI. Have 3 letters lined up for submission (home letter, research letters), click submit on 9/15. Have sept subI chair/PD submit LOR as soon as they can after subI. PDs will likely be understanding in getting LORs in as soon as they can. Flip side, PDs likely to be more understanding of letters from sways that come in a little later.

This. I am mean it’s so obvious. Are people really spending 4 months and preparing their application the week of? Make it make sense.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)