Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgery with no neuro research
There's no way this guy is real but i'm down to keep feeding the troll for comedic value alone.
(06-12-2021, 02:25 AM)Anger Wrote: What really irks me is that someone with no interest in NS, with no history of NS involvement, can just wake up, decide to go into NS, and get ahead of me. That really bugs me. And on top of that, some of the idiots here believe that is fair and just. 

It just doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make any sense.

Assuming you're serious, why do you keep saying this person would be getting ahead of you or taking a spot away from you? It's not like there's only one spot in the entire Match or that this person and you would definitely be in the running for the same spot in the same program. So why do you care who else applies or for what reasons if you're all set? It sounds like you're worried that despite doing everything "right," you might not match. And judging by your mentality here, that would be a good thing for the field.
(06-12-2021, 05:50 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 02:25 AM)Anger Wrote: What really irks me is that someone with no interest in NS, with no history of NS involvement, can just wake up, decide to go into NS, and get ahead of me. That really bugs me. And on top of that, some of the idiots here believe that is fair and just. 

Assuming you're serious, why do you keep saying this person would be getting ahead of you or taking a spot away from you? It's not like there's only one spot in the entire Match or that this person and you would definitely be in the running for the same spot in the same program. So why do you care who else applies or for what reasons if you're all set? It sounds like you're worried that despite doing everything "right," you might not match. And judging by your mentality here, that would be a good thing for the field.

well, the fact is that Match is highly competitive. I believe 1/3 of the applicants don't match. And keep in mind, almost anyone who applies to NS is going to be very qualified. So we have a lot of qualified people who don't match. 

You all here are just encouraging an obviously unqualified person to join in a brutal process; that is highly unethical. 

It really angers me a great deal when you say things like I shouldn't match. Its really hurtful. 

I have two neurosurgeons--you would recognize their names--who are willing to bat for me so keep that in mind. Keep in mind also that I have gotten only good feedback from my rotations, so your point that I have a bad mentality is moot. 

I'm not really afraid of this OP taking my spot; he doesn't even bother to reply to anyone. Rather, I'm afraid of the mentality here. The mentality that screwing around should be rewarded, that hard work shouldn't pay off, that the best NS are the ones who are loafers. This sick mentality is spreading and it must be stopped. 

So if this mentality is prevalent, I will lose my spot to a loafer, and that is just wrong. It doesn't make sense.
(06-12-2021, 07:08 PM)Angry Med Student Wrote:

well, the fact is that Match is highly competitive. I believe 1/3 of the applicants don't match. And keep in mind, almost anyone who applies to NS is going to be very qualified. So we have a lot of qualified people who don't match. 

You all here are just encouraging an obviously unqualified person to join in a brutal process; that is highly unethical. 

It really angers me a great deal when you say things like I shouldn't match. Its really hurtful. 

I have two neurosurgeons--you would recognize their names--who are willing to bat for me so keep that in mind. Keep in mind also that I have gotten only good feedback from my rotations, so your point that I have a bad mentality is moot. 

I'm not really afraid of this OP taking my spot; he doesn't even bother to reply to anyone. Rather, I'm afraid of the mentality here. The mentality that screwing around should be rewarded, that hard work shouldn't pay off, that the best NS are the ones who are loafers. This sick mentality is spreading and it must be stopped. 

So if this mentality is prevalent, I will lose my spot to a loafer, and that is just wrong. It doesn't make sense.

If what you've written about your background is true, you sound like a highly qualified applicant that should match. Yes, it's true that some qualified applicants don't match, and some perhaps underqualified applicants do. It can be frustrating to think that all of your hard work might not pay off with you achieving your dreams. However, you seem to think you are *entitled* to a spot because of your qualifications and hard work, and that is the mentality I was talking about, and one that I wouldn't want in a co-resident (as others have stated). If you keep that up and it shows through in real life, that might jeopardize your match more than another applicant deciding late in the game that they want to pursue neurosurgery. Just something to think about moving forward.
(06-11-2021, 11:44 PM)Angry Med Student Wrote: I have steps well into the top percentile, have aced 3rd year and have recs from top neurosurgeons. Only good feedback from eval. Amazing how doing well and working hard and serving patients will get you so much hate. 

Sorry folks, but I made a choice. I made an active choice. In high school I made a choice to study and do well. I made a choice to attend a top college on a scholarship, and made a choice to study, do research, and volunteer. I made a choice not to party or hook up or do drugs--unlike many (most?) of you. I made a choice to attend a top medical school, get good grades (despite grades "not mattering"), ace the steps, do research and be a top applicant. 

I made a choice to plan ahead and chose a field that respects hard work, dedication, innovation and discipline. And now I am receiving the consequences of that choice--glowing recs, publications in top journals (with more coming in as co-author), presentations as prestegous conferences, great away rotations. 

You guys made a choice too. a choice to be lazy. A choice to get drunk, to do drugs. A choice to take the easy way.

And now you must pay the price for that choice. Sorry.

This has got to be trolling. Holy shit LOL

(06-12-2021, 08:14 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 07:08 PM)Angry Med Student Wrote:

If what you've written about your background is true, you sound like a highly qualified applicant that should match. Yes, it's true that some qualified applicants don't match, and some perhaps underqualified applicants do. It can be frustrating to think that all of your hard work might not pay off with you achieving your dreams. However, you seem to think you are *entitled* to a spot because of your qualifications and hard work, and that is the mentality I was talking about, and one that I wouldn't want in a co-resident (as others have stated). If you keep that up and it shows through in real life, that might jeopardize your match more than another applicant deciding late in the game that they want to pursue neurosurgery. Just something to think about moving forward.

If angry dude is serious, you're 100% correct. This kind of bitterness and aggression often shows through and is more of a factor in not getting a spot than any so-called "late bloomer" taking a spot from them.

Look, when I matched I didn't get what I wanted. I fell far actually. I had good research, step scores, AOA, was liked by the programs I worked with, didn't match at any of them. This shit happens, it's absolutely an unfair system and not everyone gets what they deserve (both among those matching well and those not matching). Complain to your friends, you have a right to be frustrated. But all you can do is keep working harder, become a great clinician and surgeon, produce research, demonstrate that you belong and do so with a good attitude. THAT's the best way to show up the people who reject you. Don't act like an entitled jerk, and don't scapegoat other people for innocuous things like "not realizing they liked neurosurgery as early as I did."
Well, thank you for that feedback, I will certainly take it to heart. I agree that I should tone down things around here. I hope I don't come across as aggressive in real life. I don't think I do. 

It really ticked me off to see the OP talk like this, and everyone encouraging him. OP doesn't even bother to reply. Dosen't have that basic decency. 

Anyways, thank you again. I will cool it down.
(06-13-2021, 03:29 AM)Angry Med Student Wrote: Well, thank you for that feedback, I will certainly take it to heart. I agree that I should tone down things around here. I hope I don't come across as aggressive in real life. I don't think I do. 

It really ticked me off to see the OP talk like this, and everyone encouraging him. OP doesn't even bother to reply. Dosen't have that basic decency. 

You’re such an insufferable loser. I can’t wait until you fail to match and then convince yourself that it’s due to everything except your neurotic, narcissistic personality.
Time for thread to end. Md PhD in basic science has a shot at matching, needs LORs from neurosurgeons and to have good subI performance. Angry med student who claims to already have done several clinical rotations with numerous recommendations from big name is faculty, numerous publications in big time journals, and is coming from a top med school with big boards scores has nothing to worry about with the match. Time to move on.
(06-13-2021, 06:48 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 03:29 AM)Angry Med Student Wrote: Well, thank you for that feedback, I will certainly take it to heart. I agree that I should tone down things around here. I hope I don't come across as aggressive in real life. I don't think I do. 

You’re such an insufferable loser. I can’t wait until you fail to match and then convince yourself that it’s due to everything except your neurotic, narcissistic personality.

Vile man. Not my fault you are frustrated with life. take personality responsibility, please
(06-10-2021, 09:42 PM)Curbside23 Wrote: Hi everybody,

I am a medical student (just became a 4th year), interested in applying into neurosurgery. The issue is I have no neurosurgery or neuroscience research. I do have plenty of research in other areas (immunology, basic science) and several first author publications (all in basic science application to clinic). I earned a PhD (nothing to do with neuroscience, or anything to do with neuro or surgery for that matter). I did do one small group project on neuroscience in my undergrad, which resulted in a poster. I am wondering what your advice is about how programs will look at this and what I can do from now until October to enhance the application.

Have any of you residents had a similar experience? (came to neurosurgery late and still matched?)

Thanks for any advice.

Heya

There was an applicant my year who switched to neurosurgery late. She was actually going for family medicine and ended up deciding much like you did that she wanted to change over. She didn't take a year off, she just met with the department and expressed her desire to switch over. Not sure the logistics of it but she did really well. I think that your strong history of research (basic science at that) will be a huge asset to your application. I would just discuss with your home department chair and figure out how to make you look the best.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)