Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching Specialities
I was in NSG for 2 years, left and finished anesthesia residency. Have been an attending for a year but am still missing neurosurgery.  Has anyone ever finished a residency and then completed neurosurgery after?  I don’t care about the timing and can get good LOR from colleagues in my anesthesia program and old neurosurgery attendings.  Looking for constructive advice, and no trolling, thank you.
The hospital would not be paid for your training, which would probably hinder your chances of matching/backfilling. Sorry.
One of our attendings did neurology and then neurosurgery. It is not impossible. Will definitely be hard, especially because you already quit neurosurgery once (unless you had a good reason programs may be afraid of this). I suggest you talk to some neurosurgery faculty at your institution and get their advice. Maybe you could start as PGY2? You need to talk to them.
Yeah I know of attendings that did other specialties then went into neurosurgery but no one that’s left the field and came back. Could be next to impossible given how competitive it is now.
How does the money for residency funding work? Can an attending fund themselves? For example, someone who left residency to become a Rad Onc wants to finish last 4 years of residency. How does one make this work?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)