Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applicants, what are you looking for?
I disagree with the firing view. It all comes down to favoritism. I know residents who have "competed" for getting written up the most and were super unprofessional, but the program protects them. I know some residents who were just weird kinda an outcast and quiet, but they use some minor infractions as an excuse to get them out.
If you are not getting “written up” as a neurosurgery resident then you are complicit in all the patient safety issues surrounding being a hospitalized patient. The incompetence in your colleagues at first is astonishing and then as time goes by the bad things that happens to patients makes some people very angry. These doctors call out other doctors, nurses and and staff that harm patients in order to protect patients. Calling out bad actors often backfires because the leadership is also complicit and don’t want to deal with the backlash. The problem is nobody in leadership cares and nobody wants to hear about it. All they care about is the money. I’ve known very good residents that did not make it through training because they stood up for harmed patients too many times. The squeaky wheel does not always get the grease, it gets let go.

I have never met anyone close Chris Duntsh who harmed so many patients in so short of time, but I have seen a lot of attendings that have hurt a lot patients over the course of a 20-30 year career. The number of maimed patients that a neurosurgeon accumulates over a career can be astonishing. It’s criminal and because of the talent drain away from neurosurgery and the fact that there are so many untalented people getting into neurosurgery it’s going to get worse. Nobody with any self-respect wants to be a neurosurgeon anymore. It’s become a club for miss fits.
Is the above poster even a NS? Sounds like a dumb neurologist to me. Of course you are going to make mistakes and screw-up patients as a NS. part of the job and its why they pay you a million.
(08-08-2021, 08:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Honestly, take a look at your attendings. Some are great and some are aweful. They are Attendings most likely in academics. You know what they say…”those that can’t teach”. Prove me wrong. Many would not be able to cut it in private practice they are to inefficient and incompetent or WEIRD or RUDE or AUTISTIC.

Additionally neurosurgery does not recruit “the best”. The absolute cream of the crop due not go into neurosurgery. Most medical students are to talented and smart for neurosurgery. . In fact really talented people go into any specialty but neurosurgery.

Neurosurgery tends to recruit people who are insecure overachievers. They somehow think that by being a neurosurgeon that they will fill in all of their deficiencies. Lots of personality disorders in neurosurgeons. You do see this as much in orthopedics who recruit a bunch of jocks that play team sports. Most neurosurgeons would never be accepted by the orthopedics community for example. Most orthopedics would never fit into neurosurgery. Neurosurgeons are WEIRD in general.

Some of the most dysfunctional doctors/people that I have ever met were neurosurgeons. They go on to have disfunctional personal lives with multiple marriages and their kids are all jacked up.

Real men and women do anything but neurosurgery.

Give this man the award for saltiest post on this site! Downright impressive

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)