Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Neurotrauma/NCC fellowships?
Holy shit this board is toxic.
Trauma by its very definition is not elective. Furthermore, a fellowship-trained neurotrauma Neurosurgeon does not add anything to a neurosurgical practice. Your fellow attendings won’t see u as helpful, because you don’t do anything they can’t already do. Also, they won’t be giving u their trauma patients, because they are going to want to do (and bill) for the craniotomies. Ur role will essentially be reduced to rounding on non-operative patients that are dumped on u.

There’s a reason that it is rare to see job openings specifically for Neuro trauma.
An elective neuro trauma practice is basically community neurosurgery, you take trauma call and get elective cases from clinic. I agree if your interests are purely clinical then a neuro trauma fellowship is pointless, better to do a spine fellowship so you can manage complex fractures. If you have interest in TBI research and want to be in academia, then a fellowship in a place like Miami, UW or Pitt is worthwhile.
Anyone who thinks a neurosurgery residency grad can practice as a full-time neurocritical care attending without a fellowship simply doesn't understand what the field is. Neurotrauma is one thing (and the above posters are prob correct that a trauma-heavy residency probably prepares you for any non-academic trauma job). But you won't learn advanced vent management, status epilepticus, neuromuscular diseases, acute stroke management, inflammatory diseases, weird encephalopathies, etc. as a neurosurgery resident, and that's all modern neurocritical care. Long story short, prep for the job you want. I don't know of anyone outside of an academic center who does both NSGY and true neurocritical care (not just trauma). But in the academic setting it should be possible.
(08-13-2021, 11:21 AM)Guest Wrote: Yes, that's why I asked. Rather than berate, try and provide some useful insight. Thank you

it sounds like you are seriously considering a neurocritical trauma fellowship. wish you the best of luck.
What does someone do who gets fired after pgy-5? I have a lot of knowledge and skills. But now I feel screwed.
(08-14-2021, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote: What does someone do who gets fired after pgy-5?  I have a lot of knowledge and skills.  But now I feel screwed.

go into neurocritical care! you have a lot of knowledge and skills.
(08-14-2021, 08:52 PM)Guest Wrote: What does someone do who gets fired after pgy-5?  I have a lot of knowledge and skills.  But now I feel screwed.

I feel so sad for you, why did you get fired, if you don't mind me asking? Sometimes, you just get screwed over.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)