Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you dont have a 250, dont apply
(05-18-2017, 07:54 AM)admin Wrote: Tq
(05-17-2017, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: This forum does not reflect the field.  There is a vast overemphasis in this forum on reputational score-keeping, often with a focus on specific individuals.  There is a false narrative that programs are 'ranked' somehow instead of focusing on the truth that they each offer diverse strengths and weaknesses and talking in a rational way about those strengths and weaknesses.  One-half of all neurosurgeons (those in private practice) get no mention here whatsoever, despite the fact that this form of practice is such a large part of how neurosurgical care is delivered.   This forum could be much better with a moderator who would weed out some of the vitriol.  The posts could still be anonymous but with a bit of civility.

I've been trying to let people speak freely.  Please flag posts for moderation that are inflammatory or inciting others. 

If we all agree to be respectful and professional about our discussions, this should not be an issue. I can appreciate the desire to flame or snark, but let's all tone it down a notch.

Not sure why there is so much pushback against requiring people to make accounts. Unless you are careless, it isn't highly unlikely you'll be identified. Look at other forums, the only people who have been identified revealed personal information about school they attend, etc.

This wouldn't stop people from making random accounts just for one post but it would help to see who posts frequently so we can take their assess the quality of their advice better.

It is highly unlikely*
i guess my problem with the current state of things is that there are essentially no longitudinal posters other than myself and another 3 or 4 people. This is a different mix than at UH where there were a larger number of people who were establishes. entities even if not identified. Agree with above.
(05-18-2017, 12:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 07:54 AM)admin Wrote: Tq
(05-17-2017, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: This forum does not reflect the field.  There is a vast overemphasis in this forum on reputational score-keeping, often with a focus on specific individuals.  There is a false narrative that programs are 'ranked' somehow instead of focusing on the truth that they each offer diverse strengths and weaknesses and talking in a rational way about those strengths and weaknesses.  One-half of all neurosurgeons (those in private practice) get no mention here whatsoever, despite the fact that this form of practice is such a large part of how neurosurgical care is delivered.   This forum could be much better with a moderator who would weed out some of the vitriol.  The posts could still be anonymous but with a bit of civility.

I've been trying to let people speak freely.  Please flag posts for moderation that are inflammatory or inciting others. 

If we all agree to be respectful and professional about our discussions, this should not be an issue. I can appreciate the desire to flame or snark, but let's all tone it down a notch.

Not sure why there is so much pushback against requiring people to make accounts. Unless you are careless, it isn't highly unlikely you'll be identified. Look at other forums, the only people who have been identified revealed personal information about school they attend, etc.

This wouldn't stop people from making random accounts just for one post but it would help to see who posts frequently so we can take their assess the quality of their advice better.

It is highly unlikely*

No pushback, simply people prefer to post anonymously.  Look at reddit or sdn where accounts are required, the neurosurgery community is a ghost town.  We would prefer that everyone does register an account, and ask for people to do so. Until then, however, to keep the discourse open we'll maintain guest posting anonymously. 

Also, rather ironic you state accounts would be better whirl posting anonymously.
As I've made known in the past, I wholeheartedly agree with what @Focus is saying about the lack of longitudinal posters. Socrates and Focus are two of the only named posters that I see consistently, and because of this (and the nature of their responses in general) I know I can value what they're saying and where they're coming from. I personally am not terribly worried about anonymity: I haven't talked shit about anyone or written anything I wouldn't want getting back to me. While I agree it would be hard for me to speak critically (even if 100% true) about other programs/individuals as a named poster, it is beginning to feel like the proportion of mean/ignorant/trolling anonymous posters is starting to outweigh legitimate candid responses to the point where I'm not sure there's as much justification to keep anonymous posting as there once was. With regard to SDN/reddit being ghost towns for NSG discussion, that's probably more a fact that it's a small field and historically has had a single dedicated site that was the unofficial official forum. Admin seems pretty set on keeping posting anonymous, so I won't belabor the point any further, but I am worried about the direction the discussions have taken lately, probably due to a select few bad apples.
(05-18-2017, 06:55 PM)dispo Wrote: As I've made known in the past, I wholeheartedly agree with what @Focus is saying about the lack of longitudinal posters. Socrates and Focus are two of the only named posters that I see consistently, and because of this (and the nature of their responses in general) I know I can value what they're saying and where they're coming from. I personally am not terribly worried about anonymity: I haven't talked shit about anyone or written anything I wouldn't want getting back to me. While I agree it would be hard for me to speak critically (even if 100% true) about other programs/individuals as a named poster, it is beginning to feel like the proportion of mean/ignorant/trolling anonymous posters is starting to outweigh legitimate candid responses to the point where I'm not sure there's as much justification to keep anonymous posting as there once was. With regard to SDN/reddit being ghost towns for NSG discussion, that's probably more a fact that it's a small field and historically has had a single dedicated site that was the unofficial official forum. Admin seems pretty set on keeping posting anonymous, so I won't belabor the point any further, but I am worried about the direction the discussions have taken lately, probably due to a select few bad apples.

Fwiw, I do moderate the forums, and read the concerns on reported posts.  I also would prefer people register a username, or be less inflammatory using the anonymous posting.  In any case, these inciting posts have rarely been flagged for moderation.  I would consider replying in response to some of the more pedestrian questions out there but leave it to the community and sometimes the responses are a bit sarcastic. Yes, we get a lot of naive posters, but realize they have to start somewhere and try not to flame everyone as much.
I would also point out that the sdn forum had a big uptick in use after UH crashed and, if I recall correctly, it was from there that nsgapplicants was propagated.
I am a big proponent of allowing anonymous posting because at this point it simply increases the activity on the forum which is what is necessary at the early stage this forum is at. As time passes, and the site ideally becomes a source of reliable information and has a decent backlog of threads that will inform the future neurosurgery applicant, more and more people will create accounts and want to be a part of the community.

All of the people here are interested in neurosurgery so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt in saying that people can usually tell when people are posting garbage and trolling. You always need to take any kind of libel you read with a grain of salt.

Anonymous posting is a double edged sword and I think it is a good thing, even if trolls abuse it, as long as there are moderators to remove the actual spam and robot posting. The people with accounts, including myself need to contribute more and make the website a resource. Also I do think it is fairly easy to remain anonymous with a long term account.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)