Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNS 2021 Abstracts
(08-27-2021, 05:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Will research help someone who left a program to get back in?  Or would doing a research fellowship be a waste of time?

TBH I don't think so.  More pubs doesn't equal more competitive in that point.  The only reason for the research is to "scratch someones back" in the hope they will "scratch yours" for a good letter/phone call and help you out.  It is the established attendings reputation at stake and will take a special person to speak high for a person.  Furthermore, depends on why you left - if it was professionalism or clinical skills - how will you show you have improved?

Well said.  Reputation is the name of the game.  In the end, people are self-centered with egos to fill, more especially in neurosurgery.  With that said, I have seen diversity in my old residency program and I know its tough.  But thats what residency is for, to build your thick skin.  If I see someone making a 2nd effort I will definitely bat for someone and try to help with a good LOR.  But, they will have to EARN it.  If you just whine and suck then I think you should look elsewhere.  Patients would love a doc who never gave up, thats the kind of spirit we want in neurosurgery.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)