Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s considered high # of papers?
"20 meaningful contributions to meaningful papers took a year" ... 20 meaningful in a year is not possible, 3-4 meaningful and the rest "regular" ones, could be
(09-03-2021, 02:50 PM)Guest Wrote: "20 meaningful contributions to meaningful papers took a year" ... 20 meaningful in a year is not possible, 3-4 meaningful and the rest "regular" ones, could be

I never said it took a year to do that I said most people in that category took a year off. Those people tend to be involved early in research and part of the value of that year is that it gives all the stuff you worked on previously additional time before application to be finished up and published. Half of the stuff I worked on during my year off didn't get published until after graduation.
Hi Focus, would you be able to stand out with a step in the 230s and 8 papers? If not, what would be other ways to stand out?
(09-04-2021, 07:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Hi Focus, would you be able to stand out with a step in the 230s and 8 papers? If not, what would be other ways to stand out?

Well it would depend on the quality of the papers. Eight is a solid number so for many programs it might tilt the scales on the step 1 score. Strong letters of recommendation, grants, major awards, and particularly impressive/unique skills or accomplishments.
Focus, do you think a step1 in 240-245s with 10+ high quality pubs (majority first author), very strong LORs from well-regarded home program, strong clinical grades (honors in IM and surg) will be held back by their step1 from top 10 programs (UCSF, Pitt, Barrow, WashU, etc)? I know nothing 'guarantees' getting into those programs or any other, i'm just asking if you'd be automatically be excluded or how much of an uphill battle you're fighting with a step 1 in that range. Will try to take step 2 if i'm killing it on practices before ERAS as well.
(09-04-2021, 10:08 PM)Guest Wrote: Focus, do you think a step1 in 240-245s with 10+ high quality pubs (majority first author), very strong LORs from well-regarded home program, strong clinical grades (honors in IM and surg) will be held back by their step1 from top 10 programs (UCSF, Pitt, Barrow, WashU, etc)? I know nothing 'guarantees' getting into those programs or any other, i'm just asking if you'd be automatically be excluded or how much of an uphill battle you're fighting with a step 1 in that range. Will try to take step 2 if i'm killing it on practices before ERAS as well.

I don't think it is impossible to match no but as you said the top is fickle.
(09-05-2021, 07:20 AM)Focus Wrote:
(09-04-2021, 10:08 PM)Guest Wrote: Focus, do you think a step1 in 240-245s with 10+ high quality pubs (majority first author), very strong LORs from well-regarded home program, strong clinical grades (honors in IM and surg) will be held back by their step1 from top 10 programs (UCSF, Pitt, Barrow, WashU, etc)? I know nothing 'guarantees' getting into those programs or any other, i'm just asking if you'd be automatically be excluded or how much of an uphill battle you're fighting with a step 1 in that range. Will try to take step 2 if i'm killing it on practices before ERAS as well.

Picture perfect applicants don’t match at these programs.. and have not matched period in past cycles. really takes connections of some sort to break this barrier if you have some blemish on your app. realistically only 20-30 of applicants out of 300+ will end up at the top programs. Applicants need to stop obsessing and focus on simply just matching.. yes aim for the stars and such but believe me when I say there are applicants who far outshinwith 70+ pubs, 260s step 1 and 2, grants, awards, perfect letters, you name it.
(09-05-2021, 09:43 AM)Guest Wrote:

Picture perfect applicants don’t match at these programs.. and have not matched period in past cycles. really takes connections of some sort to break this barrier if you have some blemish on your app. realistically only 20-30 of applicants out of 300+ will end up at the top programs. Applicants need to stop obsessing and focus on simply just matching.. yes aim for the stars and such but believe me when I say there are applicants who far outshinwith 70+ pubs, 260s step 1 and 2, grants, awards, perfect letters, you name it.

What are you saying exactly, the only way to match is to be god-tier objectively (70+ pubs,260+,perfect letters) AND have connections? Or that connections with good enough objectives (10-20 pubs, 240-250s, perfect letters) is also good enough? 

So what is it coming down to after a certain point, the PD eyeballing the human in front of them on interview day to see how well you'd fit in and be cool to work with?

(09-05-2021, 10:39 AM)Guest Wrote:

What are you saying exactly, the only way to match is to be god-tier objectively (70+ pubs,260+,perfect letters) AND have connections? Or that connections with good enough objectives (10-20 pubs, 240-250s, perfect letters) is also good enough? 

So what is it coming down to after a certain point, the PD eyeballing the human in front of them on interview day to see how well you'd fit in and be cool to work with?

To be clear I'm asking about matching at the aforementioned Top 10s specifically.
(09-05-2021, 10:39 AM)I Guest Wrote:

(09-05-2021, 10:39 AM)Guest Wrote:

To be clear I'm asking about matching at the aforementioned Top 10s specifically.

I’m the one from few replies up. Being “picture perfect” alone is not enough to match top 10.. enough to interview but not to match. It has become so competitive that numbers alone are not good enough, and we start to consider other subjective factors. You often (not always) need a “wow” factor that makes you unique and attractive in the eyes of residencies who at the end of the day have a pool of very qualified applicants to choose from… otherwise how else do we chose? I have 20 equally qualified folks, so I’ll we think will fit in and get along with the team the most.  It comes down to vibes and if you add something to the program that fits their agenda/how they want to present and move program forward.

Examples of “wow” factors vary depending on programs. Some value strong research/scholarship (Rhodes scholar, Howard Hughes, strong basic science), some value a cool life story, many factor in pedigree and your connections, maybe you did college sports at high level, whatever. An applicant who has solid numbers and pubs can outrank an objectively stronger candidate if their personality/character is stronger and perhaps they have a unique aspect to them. But lower numbers/pubs is almost impossible to breach top tier without something like being chairs son/daughter.

Overall, just go into this open minded. You’ve worked hard and at this point can’t change your CV. Apply, and pray you end up matching somewhere and hopefully it’s among your top choices. Good luck.
I'm just not sure where the lines are for a high number of solid pubs. Is 3 pubs really average or is it more like 5-6 (no case reports) for a low research output institution? I feel like this question has been asked multiple times but I need to know where my energy should be going towards with the limited time I have left.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)