Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 programs undisputed
(09-08-2021, 01:21 PM)Guest Wrote: None of those ivies, imho belong in the top 10. The surgical training is mediocre when you compare high volume programs like Pitt, Miami, USC, Barrow, Mayo where residents have unparalleled surgical autonomy. Having spoke w/ colleagues at Columbia, hopkins, etc.. they agree their surgical training isn’t even in the same league

What a wise man.
(09-07-2021, 09:57 PM)Guest Wrote: Top 10 undisputed

UCSF
Barrow
Mayo Roch
USC
Miami
UWash
Pitt
Tennessee 
NYU
Emory

Who would you drop/replace?

Take out Pitt/USC/Tennessee/Miami/NYU/Emory. Pitt residents are flooding forums and badly trying to create a name for their combined endoscopic and gamma knife residency program. 

First 4 in no particular order that remain the top 4 you like or not:
UCSF, Barrow, Hopkins, Mayo
The next 6 in no particular order (prestige/connections/politics, regardless of operative experience):
UWash, WashU, UMichigan, Columbia, MGH, UVA

Remember something very clear: You can go to one of the bottom programs and you get great autonomy and trained better than some of the programs above. Towards the end of your residency, you will realize that it's not about operative experience especially if you are picky about the job/academia
(09-08-2021, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote:

UCSF
Barrow
Mayo Roch
USC
Miami
UWash
Pitt
Tennessee 
NYU
Emory

Take out Pitt/USC/Tennessee/Miami/NYU/Emory. Pitt residents are flooding forums and badly trying to create a name for their combined endoscopic and gamma knife residency program. 

First 4 in no particular order that remain the top 4 you like or not:
UCSF, Barrow, Hopkins, Mayo
The next 6 in no particular order (prestige/connections/politics, regardless of operative experience):
UWash, WashU, UMichigan, Columbia, MGH, UVA

Remember something very clear: You can go to one of the bottom programs and you get great autonomy and trained better than some of the programs above. Towards the end of your residency, you will realize that it's not about operative experience especially if you are picky about the job/academia

Having been on here a long time honestly there's less self promotion than most people think.
The above poster is absolutely correct, unfortunately there is almost no one more ignorant than Med students applying to neurosurgery, which is why this forum is buried underneath the same discussions over and over of the “top ten” programs (by people who realistic have no idea how to gauge the quality of a program anyway)
I'm not from Pitt but my program has one of the most competitive open vascular fellowships and I can vouch that our recent fellow from there was well trained. If you're going to bag on them for self-promotion, then perhaps the UW residents should also be called out. Stop - you guys are embarrassing yourselves at this point. When was the last time someone left that place and did something important in the field? Winn, Berger, Ojemann Sr are all gone. Sekhar is close to retiring.

Places that were top10 before 2010: UVA, UW, Hopkins. Saying that UVA is the same place it was when Shaffery and Jane were there is just insane. No. Just no. If you think I'm wrong, then you think faculty turnover means nothing. You'll be fine at any of these places but they are the "program(s) of chairman" anymore.

I've worked with attendings and fellows from a majority of places on this list - in some cases multiple. There are amazing people that come out of WashU, Emory, etc. I've also seen people from those programs that couldn't hit the fairway. People on this board conflate the ability to get into residency with the drive to become a good neurosurgeon.

UCSF, Barrow, Emory, Pitt, WashU are names that consistently come up where you will be set up for a good academic career. Places like Maryland, Penn, Tennessee, Utah, etc. (or any place with a prior CNS/SNS/AANS president for chair or PD) will probably cut the mustard if you work hard. In truth, there are probably <30 programs that will actually limit someone regardless of how motivated they are. My program gets put in just about every tier. I stopped giving a damn about lists 10 minutes after locking down a top fellowship. I'll probably stop caring about fellowship lists 10 minutes after I sign a job offer.

At every phase in life, there will be people who excel and those who lag. High school, college, med school, residency, fellowship, junior/middle/senior attendinghood. Almost no one nails every phase. It's laudable that people work hard to get into the top residency. I did not end up where I thought I would. But I did end up taking advantage of the opportunities that were afforded me. I'll gladly compare my CV, accomplishments, and intra-op skills with anyone from any program.
Be thankful to land ANY neurosurgery residency program. Be proud to have the honor and privilege to serve those who need us.

Don't rely on a name of a program to make yourself great. Make a name out of yourself, and then have people ask "wow from that program". So many people hide behind good school/residency names in life, but cannot actually perform. I can see this first hand where X resident from Ivy League Med sucked and clearly was by outperformed Z resident from "low tier" med school. Hell one of the best surgeons I know, clinically, academically, and work ethic came from a Carribean med school. I see many times people getting names on papers who didn't do squat for the paper. Its like you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours to artificially inflate the # of pubs.

You can say some things about "top" research places. But really how many good advances in the field are they putting out versus just mental self-gratification.

In summary, just be a good dude or gal and if you have the motivation you can make a great name for yourself. Sure its easier to hustle from BNI than Louisville, but if you made it into neurosurgery you are a hustler. Don't just cruise through residency, go out there and do something! Good luck to everyone.
Quote:You can say some things about "top" research places. But really how many good advances in the field are they putting out versus just mental self-gratification.

In any given year, there are 1-3 true advances that happen. Most stuff gets left by the wayside 6 months after it comes out. Stupp protocol, Leksell frame and gamma knife, LITT, MIS TLIF - whatever. Few and far between. Each one of those people was remembered not for where they trained. Caring about home program recognition is for those who fail to distinguish themselves.
Some good points for a change, but something that people here are missing is how pro-resident a program is. 

Inevitably, you are going to face workplace issues with patients, staff, nurses, etc. Is the program going to support you in those cases? Do they have your back? Or are they going to throw you under a bridge to save themselves? 

In my experience, a mid-tier program that supports its residents is 1000x superior to a "top" program that is not. 

Do keep in mind that many lower-level staff are going to be full of envy and jealousy, and so false accusations happen all the time. Some programs are going to support you and some won't. 

Another thing to consider nowadays is "teamwork" promotion. I have privileges at an academic hospital and I see more and more of this bullshit. The PAs and even lab techs are all part of some bullshit "team" and I have seen them boss around and even bully residents. The faculty watch is silence as they are too afraid to push back against this bullshit "teamwork". It is shocking and I would never want to train at such a place. 

In my academic center, faculty have to attend "inter-professional" events and get lectured by lab techs, nurses, and other "health professionals". Residents are viewed as low-level employees instead of growing leaders in their respective fields. Stay clear of those programs.

UCSF
Barrow
Mayo Roch
USC
Miami
UWash
Pitt
Tennessee 
NYU
Emory

Nearly every single program on this list.
what do u buggers think of Mayo arazona? went to the open house the other day and it sounds top notch

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)