Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start NS research as MS1 a good idea?
I go to pass/fail school. Do u think NS research as an MS1 is a good idea? I am thinking of contacting neurosurgeons for research opportunities related to chart review and case studies. 

HOWEVER, I have read on here that early research can be a negative? Someone wrote that they prefer candidates who explore all fields so what is it?

Thank you all so much!
if you want to do neurosurgery, ms1 is a great time to get started on research. keeping an open mind about other fields is also a good idea.
(09-11-2021, 11:13 PM)Guest Wrote: if you want to do neurosurgery, ms1 is a great time to get started on research. keeping an open mind about other fields is also a good idea.

thanks a lot, makes sense. I will look into other fields. I will contact some academic neurosurgeons, i have a list i made.
Also, how are review studies and case studies looked upon? A gentleman I want to work with does mostly those. I would think its a good start, but I just want to make sure. Thank you again.
A good start.
Thank you. I would like to spend my MS1 doing chart review/case studies and hopefully learn more about NS. Hopefully in the summer I can get an internship in a lab.

Hopefully from their I can move into more interesting research in MS2 and beyond.

I am done with the first exam of MS1 and I think I can dedicate 10-12 hours a week doing research, at least. and obviously more time during holidays.
Definitely a good start. What you are describing is the path I ultimately took. You’ll be fine, but keeping an open mind is key. The most unhappy people I know in this field are those who didn’t have a clear idea of what they were getting into. Good luck and ask for help when you need it!
(09-13-2021, 02:34 AM)Blue Fire Wrote: Definitely a good start. What you are describing is the path I ultimately took. You’ll be fine, but keeping an open mind is key. The most unhappy people I know in this field are those who didn’t have a clear idea of what they were getting into. Good luck and ask for help when you need it!

Thanks a lot for this advice. Yes of course, even if I chose another field, I am sure that the research will help me. Previously I did research in a microbiology lab and I feel that what I learned is extremely useful even in unrelated fields. I also hope to shadow a NS over the winter break. 

Thank you agian

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)