Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most cush residency?
(10-15-2021, 09:26 AM)Guest Wrote: UW is great, but I can think of 10+ programs that all have better training than it without trying. One of those 10+ is USC.

I don’t think even USC residents/faculty think USC is better.

Won’t find 10 better programs on the planet than UW when accounting for operative experience, research infrastructure, location, alumni network, and prestige.

Sure there’s the question about who will replace Ellenbogen in a few years time.
(10-15-2021, 06:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 09:26 AM)Guest Wrote: UW is great, but I can think of 10+ programs that all have better training than it without trying. One of those 10+ is USC.

I don’t think even USC residents/faculty think USC is better.

Won’t find 10 better programs on the planet than UW when accounting for operative experience, research infrastructure, location, alumni network, and prestige.

Sure there’s the question about who will replace Ellenbogen in a few years time.

This entire thread is hearsay, let's add some actual data:

Academic Productivity of US Neurosurgery Residents as Measured by H-Index: Program Ranking with Correlation to Faculty Productivity | Neurosurgery | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

From bench to bedside: trends in National Institutes of Health funding for neurosurgeons from 1991 to 2015 in: Journal of Neurosurgery Volume 133 Issue 3 (2019) Journals (thejns.org)

With respect to research productivity, USC is just outside the top 10 and UW barely makes the top 30.
With respect to research funding, USC does not rank, but UW does feature prominently in some metrics.

Research is only part of the picture, but it is perhaps the easiest to measure objectively, and it seems like USC and UW are consistently outranked by programs such as UCSF, Hopkins, UCLA, UVA, Pitt, etc.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)