Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are getting real bad out their.
The average publication count for NS applicants is 32. 32 divided by 3 is 10 publications per year in medical school. So by the end of 1st semester of MS 1 you should have 5 publications or you will be below average. 

And if you are aiming for the top programs, you need to be above average. So you will have to have over 10 publications per year of medical school. 

Of course you can find 1-2 exceptions--as several hapless posters here have alluded to. But those exceptions are guys with family members in faculty or friends of the chair/PD. So unless you have a special connection or history, I would suggest you ignore the foolish advice here and instead reach out to PDs and attendings at your desired programs. 

All those individuals have said the earlier the better, and the better quality research, the better. Case studies are good for pre-med, but they are just a minimum prerequisite for NS. 

At the very least, you should be doing retrospective reviews in MS1. For statistical analysis, ideally you should be using R or python. A software like GraphPad or Origin is ok, but being able to do stats with raw code will impress a PD, and such a skill is valued by top places. 

Doing retrospective and chart reviews using original programming in R/python to analyze data as an MS1 will give you a decent foundation, in my opinion. 

After MS1, you should move into lab or original research. Many applicants have gained patents, and that is looked upon admirably by sensible faculty and PDs. First author publications/patents are what you want. You should be designing and conducting experiments or developing something new. I would say, independence and originality are two key features you want to demonstrate to programs, as those are the skills you will need as a NS. 

You should dedicate the summers of MS1 and MS2 to rounding out the research you conducted throughout medical school. 

Of course, it should go without saying that your grades are above class average. Pass/fail Step 1 means that you will have more time to conduct original and independent research; any PD with a pulse knows this and expects a corresponding increase in research output. 

Throughout your time, you should sign up for organizations and volunteer work. Don't spend too much time on these, but do familiarize yourself with various activities as they are good conversation starters and make you appear normal and well-rounded. 

In my opinion, pursuing such a path is likely to lead you a top residency program. 

If you listen to the hapless posters here, you will be scurrying to match at a malignant program--and that is certainly not what you want.
So much advice, some of it quite good, but you should take your own advice and improve statistical/reading comprehension skills. Get familiar with the literature on the subject you talk about. Plus, you're just full of yourself, which probably means you're going to match well in this environment. The numbers are wrong, your downstream calculations are wrong. This is the ERAS number, not the publication count.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31675693/
Publications are not nearly rising as much as the bloated ERAS numbers. Publication average in 2018 was 5.5 ± 0.6

Sure, research is a way to stand out, and there are those with 50+ true publications. The argument here is to not stress about it to the extent this MS1 is trying to adamantly sell for whatever reason
(10-21-2021, 12:39 PM)Reality Hurts Wrote: The average publication count for NS applicants is 32. 32 divided by 3 is 10 publications per year in medical school. So by the end of 1st semester of MS 1 you should have 5 publications or you will be below average. 

And if you are aiming for the top programs, you need to be above average. So you will have to have over 10 publications per year of medical school. 

Of course you can find 1-2 exceptions--as several hapless posters here have alluded to. But those exceptions are guys with family members in faculty or friends of the chair/PD. So unless you have a special connection or history, I would suggest you ignore the foolish advice here and instead reach out to PDs and attendings at your desired programs. 

All those individuals have said the earlier the better, and the better quality research, the better. Case studies are good for pre-med, but they are just a minimum prerequisite for NS. 

At the very least, you should be doing retrospective reviews in MS1. For statistical analysis, ideally you should be using R or python. A software like GraphPad or Origin is ok, but being able to do stats with raw code will impress a PD, and such a skill is valued by top places. 

Doing retrospective and chart reviews using original programming in R/python to analyze data as an MS1 will give you a decent foundation, in my opinion. 

After MS1, you should move into lab or original research. Many applicants have gained patents, and that is looked upon admirably by sensible faculty and PDs. First author publications/patents are what you want. You should be designing and conducting experiments or developing something new. I would say, independence and originality are two key features you want to demonstrate to programs, as those are the skills you will need as a NS. 

You should dedicate the summers of MS1 and MS2 to rounding out the research you conducted throughout medical school. 

Of course, it should go without saying that your grades are above class average. Pass/fail Step 1 means that you will have more time to conduct original and independent research; any PD with a pulse knows this and expects a corresponding increase in research output. 

Throughout your time, you should sign up for organizations and volunteer work. Don't spend too much time on these, but do familiarize yourself with various activities as they are good conversation starters and make you appear normal and well-rounded. 

In my opinion, pursuing such a path is likely to lead you a top residency program. 

If you listen to the hapless posters here, you will be scurrying to match at a malignant program--and that is certainly not what you want.

I would recommend following this advice. I didn't do any of this and I was completely fucked
[quote pid='30621' dateline='1634854733']
(10-21-2021, 12:39 PM)Reality Hurts Wrote: The average publication count for NS applicants is 32. 32 divided by 3 is 10 publications per year in medical school. So by the end of 1st semester of MS 1 you should have 5 publications or you will be below average. 

I would recommend following this advice. I didn't do any of this and I was completely fucked
[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing now? If you are applying, best of luck!
(10-21-2021, 01:03 PM)Guest Wrote: So much advice, some of it quite good, but you should take your own advice and improve statistical/reading comprehension skills. Get familiar with the literature on the subject you talk about. Plus, you're just full of yourself, which probably means you're going to match well in this environment. The numbers are wrong, your downstream calculations are wrong. This is the ERAS number, not the publication count.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31675693/
Publications are not nearly rising as much as the bloated ERAS numbers. Publication average in 2018 was 5.5 ± 0.6

Sure, research is a way to stand out, and there are those with 50+ true publications. The argument here is to not stress about it to the extent this MS1 is trying to adamantly sell for whatever reason

Well even the article you cite states that NS residents from top 20 programs have significantly higher # of publications than the average. Also, over the past 3 years a lot has changed, such as the massive increase in medical schools and the ease of publishing. 

Other than the #'s mentioned, however, was anything wrong with what was said? I would say, the advice was spot-on.
anybody here with <5 interviews?
PSA @whoever started this post: *there* not *their*

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)