Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
residency training in canada - Practicing in USA
(05-24-2017, 12:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:35 PM)estheezy Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 01:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:31 AM)Guest Wrote: being not board certified offers me what disadvantages, if I can manage to get a job anyway after a fellowship.?

sorry for the noob questions. appreciate your reply.

- Salaries below the market 
- Jobs that board-certified neurosurgeons do not want.

Are you sure about this?

This does not seem right to me. At my institution, there are at least 2 neurosurgeons who did Medical school + residency in Canada, followed by fellowship here in the US. Both command very high salaries and are in senior academic positions. Seems like good jobs to me.

It does seem right to me. I guess you are talking about Miami? Regardless, you should understand that Canadian trained neurosurgeons before 2006 or so were allowed to take ABNS and they are US board certified. However, things changed a decade ago and recent Canadian grads can't take ABNS anymore. For those recent grads, they can obtain institutional license only. This means limited options and lower salaries.

hi, why does an institutional license alone offer a lower salary?

You mean he/she wont be able to moonlight in other places outside the University hospitals. Is this a norm usually by most academic neurosurgeons?
i think there is an exception for graduates of canadian programs who complete pediatric fellowship in the U.S.; they can get ABNS certification.
American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery and the American Board of Neurological Surgery are different organizations.
Canadian graduates may sit for the ABPNS certification if trained in an accredited fellowship. However, they can't be board certified by the ABNS.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)