Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is who you are competing with
Personally, I don’t care if someone has 5 pubs vs 33. It doesn’t matter, particularly as these metrics can be vastly affected by what Med school someone attends. If someone shows up with a million publication, if anything it makes me suspicious that they simply had a generous mentor who plastered their name over a bunch of things that were already almost done. There’s this notion in this website that the more publications the better, but that’s a false notion. As long as someone is able to get even a couple projects in motion, that tells programs that they are able to get the basics of writing and publishing done. Having 33 doesn’t increase ur chances, at least not in my eyes, or at my program in general. It’s the whole picture that we care about, good board scores, good letters, solid scores in surgical rotations, and at least a couple publications or something in the pipeline
(10-27-2021, 12:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Personally, I don’t care if someone has 5 pubs vs 33. It doesn’t matter, particularly as these metrics can be vastly affected by what Med school someone attends. If someone shows up with a million publication, if anything it makes me suspicious that they simply had a generous mentor who plastered their name over a bunch of things that were already almost done. There’s this notion in this website that the more publications the better, but that’s a false notion. As long as someone is able to get even a couple projects in motion, that tells programs that they are able to get the basics of writing and publishing done. Having 33 doesn’t increase ur chances, at least not in my eyes, or at my program in general. It’s the whole picture that we care about, good board scores, good letters, solid scores in surgical rotations, and at least a couple publications or something in the pipeline

Congrats you just described 90% of applicants; now how you gonna choose between them??
When they look me in the eye with a firm handshake and have a coherent and compelling well-rounded life story. That’s how.
(10-27-2021, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: When they look me in the eye with a firm handshake and have a coherent and compelling well-rounded life story. That’s how.

That sounds great! 600 qualified applications to your program, hope you are ready to shake a lot of hands and listen to a lot of life stories!
(10-28-2021, 12:17 AM)Guest Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: When they look me in the eye with a firm handshake and have a coherent and compelling well-rounded life story. That’s how.

That sounds great! 600 qualified applications to your program, hope you are ready to shake a lot of hands and listen to a lot of life stories!

Ignore that fool. You better have 20+ publications or else you are totally and utterly fucked.
That kid from northwestern seems to be pumping one out every week...good luck to those in the same graduating class as him lmao
If you have nothing but neurosurgery in your life you will fail at life. Cushing's personal life was a failure. Read his biography. Learn from it.
(10-28-2021, 10:17 AM)Guest Wrote: If you have nothing but neurosurgery in your life you will fail at life. Cushing's personal life was a failure. Read his biography. Learn from it.

Hey I’d love to talk about my wife and kid in interviews but pretty sure that would fuck me over lol. I just talk about my “hobbies” that I haven’t actually participated in in years like everyone else I see doing on the trail.
You are not wrong and that is the problem with neurosurgery. There are programs that will not interview you let alone match you if they know you have a family. Many programs like residents without families because they don't want you to be distracted. No matter how you slice it, your family if you have one, will "miss you" for 7 years of training and then they will "miss you" again when you are an attending. That is if you still have one after training. And if you make it through residency praying to make it to the promise land you may still lose your family as an attending because guess what it gets harder! Prepare yourself. Your life will be for the most part neurosurgery. Everything else will play 2nd fiddle. Kids grow up fast and they will not forgive you no matter how many "toys" you buy them to make up for not being there.
Seriously you shits in your coffee every morning? This is a farce. I spoke about my family in my personal statement. Received over 30 interviews. No program is eliminating candidates if they have a partner/family.

*who not you

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)