Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the story with this guy??
(11-03-2021, 09:31 PM)Guest Wrote: So, I got this thread as a screenshot message from a friend who’s in neurosurgery residency and apparently follows this thread. I applied in NSG in 2019 from a top 15 school at the time with the above metrics. I felt compelled enough to come here and give you some perspective. I'm not going to lie, it was absolutely devastating to not march after all I did. However, as the old age adage says “time heals all.” So, here it is. I absolutely did everything in the book and more during medical school >95% boards, multiple publications, a few in journals with IF >5, grants and research fellowships, awesome clinical grades, and strong LORs from respected faculty from my home programs and away rotations. I was the most solid applicant from my class, and one of the most solid for a few years from a school that matched people into great programs historically. However, that Monday came and I got the dread “Sorry, you did not match” email. My family was torn, I was devastated. I legitimately did everything I could, and at the end of the fourth quarter, I fumbled the football. I asked myself so many question, I revisited this north of 100 x in my mind. I got nothing. I was solid, I thought. However, the time component gave me closure. A few weeks after the match two senior residents from programs I rotated at called me; I thought they wanted to give me their condolences…however, what they both said, independent of each other, is that a prominent faculty from my home program called their programs and essentially told them I was the devil in a short white coat. My home program sabotaged me. This was not the first time this happened, my home program had a failed coup to sabotage an upperclassmen of mine just the year prior. This was not a secret what happened to my upperclassman, everyone knew it including the Dean, but the medical school did not do anything but a slap in the hand of the said faculty. Come to find out from underclassmen of mine that as recebt as late last year, said faculty member still talked shit about me. I decided not to do anything, as I knew nothing was going to come of it. I won’t lie, I thought about smashing this dude’s face with a baseball bat soo many times. He took food away from my kids mouth. With that said, I got my closure.
Now, I am not the traditional medical student as far as personality. I have a strong personality, I asked questions, I was vocal into getting opportunities to help during rotation, I opened cases as a Sub-I before the intern, I put in a shunt, I dropped a EVD, etc…I’m sure that rubbed people off the wrong way. I am not apologizing for that.
Yet, I believe my biggest mistake was showing my cards. I showed my mentor my list, and my home program was not on top of that list. It didn’t make the top 10. I gave him a bullshit reason and said that I wanted to live in a big city, by the beach, etc. But the real reason was that most the residents in my home program were weak in knowledge and surgical skills. The amount of shit I saw them do was scary. Also, the ass kissing culture and culture of publishing garbage in high quantity was not what I wanted to do with my life.
So, there it is. I fucked up, they fucked up, the system is fucked up, and metrics won’t save you. Politics runs this shit; academic medicine I mean. These dickwads run in flocks. You should see their belligerent  behavior in meetings and their superficiality exudes through their pores. But the field is also filled with great people who bust their ass in the hope of making meaningful change in their patients lives. So, there it is. Thats the story. Now, go crazy…

I wish I knew what program you're talking about so i could personally thank them for blocking you. You sound miserable to work with.

Just one example: "I opened cases as a Sub-I before the intern" 
You can't see how that's obnoxious? An intern working 100+ hours a week gets an opportunity to open a case and some sub-i who talks shit about his program steals his portion of the cases. I'd hate you too. What good sub-i would do is ask the intern if they could hold the pager for them so they could get the opportunity to open without getting bothered. Instead you're an asshole and only think about yourself. That attitude can ruin a program's culture.

Sounds like that faculty member just saved some poor unsuspecting program from having to deal with your BS for 7 years.
(11-04-2021, 05:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Ha ha ha ha ha!  This is so entertaining!  Little puss crying that his daddy is keeping him out of NS!  His med school is keeping him out!  ?.   No one owes you shit.  Why the hell would I want to put my patients' lives in the hands of a medical student who thinks he is better than residents?  Will the same narcissist as a resident then think he's better than his faculty and make management decisions without input from his seniors and attendings?  This is how we get Dr. Death.   This is how we destroy neurosurgery.   Not by taking students with great attitudes, humility, work ethics, and ethics over those remiss in those qualities but with an extra paper or a few points on an irrelevant exam.

Like a typical academic, you lack any empathy and completely distort what other people are saying. The only narcissist here is you but like a typical academic you call everyone else arrogant. 

That is why I say: Worship and never question. Worship an academic and he will put your name on papers, and will probably give you a spot, because brazen flattery is often interpreted as great attitude, humility and work ethic.
Applicant here scared of not matching and didn’t act like an asshole or anything but know the possibility of not matching is always there and just want y’all to know we exist and will be begging our old nsgy mentors etc for letters to at least be doctors when we try to soap in FM or something. Just remember we are still people, we were competitive enough to match to good places if we hadn’t gone all in on nsgy which is our bad but assuming we weren’t assholes and just didn’t match then just don’t kick us while we are down. This process sucks and I really wish I dual applied, especially after seeing this thread
(11-05-2021, 12:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Applicant here scared of not matching and didn’t act like an asshole or anything but know the possibility of not matching is always there and just want y’all to know we exist and will be begging our old nsgy mentors etc for letters to at least be doctors when we try to soap in FM or something. Just remember we are still people, we were competitive enough to match to good places if we hadn’t gone all in on nsgy which is our bad but assuming we weren’t assholes and just didn’t match then just don’t kick us while we are down. This process sucks and I really wish I dual applied, especially after seeing this thread

Lots of vile academics posting here. Low life scum, to be mocking applicants like this. I hope they fail in life.
U tell em playa. U be u. Fuk em. Don't need to listen to sum shit from haters. What do they no? Bunch of posers. I didn't match 3 x. Gonna do anesthesia. Suck Deez nuts nurisurgery!!!

Guy who got message as screenshot from friend who applied in 2019, what are you doing now? How's it going? Other than kissing people's butts what should we do to get into residency?
(11-05-2021, 07:11 AM)Guest Wrote: U tell em playa.  U be u.  Fuk em.  Don't need to listen to sum shit from haters.  What do they no?  Bunch of posers.  I didn't match 3 x.  Gonna do anesthesia.  Suck Deez nuts nurisurgery!!!

Guy who got message as screenshot from friend who applied in 2019, what are you doing now?  How's it going?  Other than kissing people's butts what should we do to get into residency?

Are you not bored with trolling and outing yourself yet?
any akademik who ruins someone's career should have his/her license revoked. simple
Clearly dysfunctional personalities on both sides. Med students should be humble and not scrutinize residents/faculty to the degree he/she did and shouldn’t show all their cards in precarious situations. At the most, tell your mentor your top choice and ask for he or she to reach out for you. Showing a rank list with your home program ranked low is a flagrant insult. Students should also defer to residents including interns for dibs on procedures however simple they may be.

The faculty mentor should’ve provided some feedback to the student if they were as inept/insufferable as they vocalized externally to other programs. A lot less heartbreak and bad blood between parties if the med student were to be discouraged from applying initially. Plus having med students go unmatched or bad mouthed makes the home program look bad.
(11-05-2021, 02:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Clearly dysfunctional personalities on both sides. Med students should be humble and not scrutinize residents/faculty to the degree he/she did and shouldn’t show all their cards in precarious situations. At the most, tell your mentor your top choice and ask for he or she to reach out for you. Showing a rank list with your home program ranked low is a flagrant insult. Students should also defer to residents including interns for dibs on procedures however simple they may be.

The faculty mentor should’ve provided some feedback to the student if they were as inept/insufferable as they vocalized externally to other programs. A lot less heartbreak and bad blood between parties if the med student were to be discouraged from applying initially. Plus having med students go unmatched or bad mouthed makes the home program look bad.

Best comment in this thread

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)