Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many cases each year?
I’m curious how many cases we should be logging in each year of residency. If the average resident who doesn’t do a year of endovascular is hitting 1200-2000 cases depending on the program and area of interest, how many cases should that translate into every year of residency? I want to make sure I’m not falling behind
(11-05-2021, 09:42 PM)Guest Wrote: I’m curious how many cases we should be logging in each year of residency. If the average resident who doesn’t do a year of endovascular is hitting 1200-2000 cases depending on the program and area of interest, how many cases should that translate into every year of residency? I want to make sure I’m not falling behind

For my program, PGY1 is like 150-200 cases; PGY2-4 is ~250 cases/yr for 900-950 by research years, then 350-450 for chief year depending on how aggressive the chief is at seeking out cases and PGY7/fellowship year is really variable (like 200-300 depending again on how aggressive the 7 is at pursuing cases and whether they're looking for intraxial tumor vs skull base vs spine). So 1450-1700 for graduating chiefs. PGY5 is a research year and residents do <50 cases and those are only hemicranis or occasionally spine procedures for traumatic fractures.
(11-06-2021, 05:01 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 09:42 PM)Guest Wrote: I’m curious how many cases we should be logging in each year of residency. If the average resident who doesn’t do a year of endovascular is hitting 1200-2000 cases depending on the program and area of interest, how many cases should that translate into every year of residency? I want to make sure I’m not falling behind

For my program, PGY1 is like 150-200 cases; PGY2-4 is ~250 cases/yr for 900-950 by research years, then 350-450 for chief year depending on how aggressive the chief is at seeking out cases and PGY7/fellowship year is really variable (like 200-300 depending again on how aggressive the 7 is at pursuing cases and whether they're looking for intraxial tumor vs skull base vs spine). So 1450-1700 for graduating chiefs. PGY5 is a research year and residents do <50 cases and those are only hemicranis or occasionally spine procedures for traumatic fractures.

Similar numbers, except in our program PGY1 only get ab 10-20 cases as they have to run the floor and do the scut.
Similar here. Graduating usually have around 1400-1700 cases unless they did endovascular.
Graduating chief at a busy Midwest program here. I currently have about 2300 cases, and will prob graduate with about 2500 if I continue at my current rate. This is relatively average for graduating chiefs from my program
PGY-1s are getting 150-200 cases/yr? Is that as lead surgeon or opening/closing?
(11-06-2021, 02:16 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY-1s are getting 150-200 cases/yr? Is that as lead surgeon or opening/closing?

Opening/closing and doing some of craniotomy programs spine dissection depending upon staff or chief you’re working with.
(11-06-2021, 12:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Graduating chief at a busy Midwest program here. I currently have about 2300 cases, and will prob graduate with about 2500 if I continue at my current rate. This is relatively average for graduating chiefs from my program

Also a chief from the Midwest. My numbers are similar, prob finish with 2400-2500 by graduation.

I would add the caveat that these absolute numbers don’t matter though, as the most important detail is simply how proficient and adept a surgeon you are. Obviously the more you do the better you become, but I would make the case that if you are introspective and considered in your operating, 100 extra laminectomies probably doesn’t make a decisive difference.
(11-06-2021, 03:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-06-2021, 02:16 PM)Guest Wrote: PGY-1s are getting 150-200 cases/yr? Is that as lead surgeon or opening/closing?

Opening/closing and doing some of craniotomy programs spine dissection depending upon staff or chief you’re working with.

The numbers at our program are similar for PGY1 at 150-200, but a lot of those numbers are the critical care procedures like LP, evd, lines, intubations. True surgical cases are probably about 100.

Another consideration is the quality of the cases logged. I know some residents who log every case they close as senior. And more than 2 residents end up logging the cases which is against the he current acgme guidelines. So yeah, you can bump your numbers up if you bend the rules on case logging, but what is really the point.
PGY7 at a busy southern program. Intern year was ~100, PGY2/3 were 250ish, PGY4 was 300, PGY5 (research) around 150, Chief year was around 450-500, enfolded fellowship ~250. If you count the non-surgical and EVD stuff that's another 300-400, but I wouldn't include that in any calculation.

Someone has already mentioned that pure case numbers are incredibly deceiving. Nothing beats actual autonomy in the OR. My PGY7 was many fewer cases - but they were T10-pelvis deformity cases done with the attending not in the room. Can't do more than two of those in a day (don't care who you are). I would wager that one of those cases where you independently do the instrumentation is worth 10+ where the attending is guiding you through it. You cannot say "I can do X" until you've done it all the way through with the attending only minimally scrubbing.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)