Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good/bad subi experiences this year?
(11-10-2021, 05:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Why to three top places take like 50 kids how does it help them? How can you possibly get to know everyone how it is any help? Or maybe some kids just stick out?

Not relevant to topic. But do you really consider yourself a kid? So weird when I hear people interviewing for residency refer to themselves as kids.
(11-10-2021, 05:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-10-2021, 05:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Why to three top places take like 50 kids how does it help them? How can you possibly get to know everyone how it is any help? Or maybe some kids just stick out?

Not relevant to topic. But do you really consider yourself a kid? So weird when I hear people interviewing for residency refer to themselves as kids.

Not unreasonable when you have only been a student your entire life. This continues in residency, you do not get a real job until your mid 30s. Many are still partially or heavily dependent on family financial support throughout this time.
(11-10-2021, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote:

Not unreasonable when you have only been a student your entire life. This continues in residency, you do not get a real job until your mid 30s. Many are still partially or heavily dependent on family financial support throughout this time.

Don’t really hear PhD counterparts refer to themselves as kids. Rarely hear MBA candidates refer to themselves as kids. It’s a weird infantilization that more often is in medical school. Sort of speaks to the rampant self-centered attitudes and rampant belief that they are owed something.
(11-10-2021, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

Don’t really hear PhD counterparts refer to themselves as kids. Rarely hear MBA candidates refer to themselves as kids. It’s a weird infantilization that more often is in medical school. Sort of speaks to the rampant self-centered attitudes and rampant belief that they are owed something.

It is an interesting point, but could be secondary to the different demographics of the groups. Compared to medical students, PhD programs generally draw from a less affluent segment of society. MBA students presumably have worked for several years prior to matriculation. I think you would find the students at top law schools to have a similar perspective to your typical medical student. I have observed that the DO and non-traditional students probably consider themselves adults.
(11-10-2021, 06:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

It is an interesting point, but could be secondary to the different demographics of the groups. Compared to medical students, PhD programs generally draw from a less affluent segment of society. MBA students presumably have worked for several years prior to matriculation. I think you would find the students at top law schools to have a similar perspective to your typical medical student. I have observed that the DO and non-traditional students probably consider themselves adults.

Yep; difference is like you said MBAs worked a real job and PhD students and post docs get paid and have actual jobs and metrics of performance at some point in life that wasn’t just a multiple choice exam or “having a good attitude” or whatever clerkship grades are based on. Also the expectations of residency programs for medical students makes them fucking weird; ask a PhD student what they do for fun on a Friday and they’ll say they go out and have a few drinks with buddies or something while the neurosurgery applicant will say they play violin for kids on the cancer ward on Friday nights and it’s just fucking weird. Once in residency they drop this fake ass shit and are more normal though so no longer a kid.

It doesn't help that medical students and even interns and Jr residents are infantilized at most places now to minimize harm to patients. It's hard to feel like an adult when you aren't given any real responsibility and are treated like a student and not a professional. Patient care should come first, but you can't blame these ppl for feeling like kids when the system treats them like kids
can we get back on topic? why do those places take like 50 kids, what is the point of that, how does it even benefit them, how can they differentiate between all of them????
(11-11-2021, 12:10 PM)Guest Wrote: can we get back on topic? why do those places take like 50 kids, what is the point of that, how does it even benefit them, how can they differentiate between all of them????

Uh because they get to see 50 people and select the cream of the crop?? I don’t understand your question. It is absolutely possible to differentiate them. And they get a larger sample size to pick from. There is a reason pre-COVID most of the top places selected from their Sub-I pool and home students only. The greater the sample the more likely to find the good fit gems.

(11-11-2021, 12:10 PM)Guest Wrote: can we get back on topic? why do those places take like 50 kids, what is the point of that, how does it even benefit them, how can they differentiate between all of them????

Also… that actually was not the topic at hand. The topic of the thread is about specific good/bad experiences this year. Your tangent isn’t any more important than any other tangent.

lol that's not even "on topic". It seems like you have some specific ax you want to grind, like the other weirdly triggered posters above. The advice earlier was to avoid big name places because it makes it harder for Sub-Is to stand out since they take so many. Who cares why they do it: knowing why isn't going to change their behavior.

For rising med students reading this, you may want to consider how many other Sub-Is a program takes as you decide where to do aways. Ultimately, if it's a program you really want to go to and its not too much or a reach come application time, then you may want to rotate their regardless. It's a personal calculus that has many factors, including what kind of letters you may want to complement your application. I'm sure more sub-I experiences will get posted here after the match. Also browse these forums for past experiences to get a general impression.

Because they can. Because it perpetuates the Hunger Games bullshit that constitutes applying to residency. Because then they get to evangelize 50 people to go out into the world and talk about how amazing BNI/UCSF/wherever is.

The chairmen, PDs, and residents all get off on having 50 people show up and talk about how amazing their program is. It also guarantees that a couple of dozen people will have them at the top of their rank list.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)