Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To programs interviewing 30 people per spot
(11-17-2021, 01:32 PM)Guest Wrote: People say they want this, but then get upset when a program does not interview all their Sub-Is or a high number of total applicants.

Interviewing SubIs again is asinine. An interview should be done at the end of the rotation 100% of the time. Going back to a place you spent a month at is a waste of everyone's time and money. We have somehow managed to optimize for a terrible solution.

Once you get to the fellowship stage things start to make a lot more sense. You show up somewhere, you do a handful of interviews, a week or so later they give you a phone call or email either way. Places that interview 10+ people get it done in a couple of weeks. Yeah, it can be harsh but how do you think your faculty interviews are going to go?
(11-17-2021, 02:16 AM)Guest Wrote: OP what places are you referring to? I know places that interview <10 per spot. I can’t imagine many places are really interviewing 90-120 applicants. And the ones that are interviewing that many are probably bad programs that have to go really far down their rank list to match people

Per Brigham's PD, this year they have 300+ applicants and they send out 40 interview invites for 3 spots.
Emory interviewing 60 people for 2 spots this year, smh
(01-11-2022, 11:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Emory interviewing 60 people for 2 spots this year, smh

Would you rather not interview there? I’m confused. It takes one day of being on zoom. I appreciated the programs that interviewed more ppl bc it meant they were looking for the best ppl, not just the flashiest applications
(01-12-2022, 10:12 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 11:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Emory interviewing 60 people for 2 spots this year, smh

Would you rather not interview there? I’m confused. It takes one day of being on zoom. I appreciated the programs that interviewed more ppl bc it meant they were looking for the best ppl, not just the flashiest applications

Sure you could look at it like that. I see it as they were too lazy to dig into the applications to find the best candidates for their program- so they cast a wide net based on a few criterion.
(01-12-2022, 11:42 AM)Guest Wrote:

Sure you could look at it like that. I see it as they were too lazy to dig into the applications to find the best candidates for their program- so they cast a wide net based on a few criterion.

Applicants tend to think they look more unique in their application than reality...even reading through every line of an app won't magically reveal 20-30 best fit candidates. Take every opportunity given with gratitude and if you really feel like a program is lazy, then decline the interview, no one is forcing you to do anything.

Or, your application is identical to 60+ people. These apps all look the same, similar pubs, scores, boilerplate LoRs most of the time, adequate personal statements with not much to write home about. Few are unique on paper. Taking the time to interview that many people is exhausting and extremely gracious of the faculty and residents. Shows to me they care about one's personality and fit which is infinitely more important than anything on your app.
(01-12-2022, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote:

Or, your application is identical to 60+ people. These apps all look the same, similar pubs, scores, boilerplate LoRs most of the time, adequate personal statements with not much to write home about. Few are unique on paper. Taking the time to interview that many people is exhausting and extremely gracious of the faculty and residents. Shows to me they care about one's personality and fit which is infinitely more important than anything on your app.

Agree that taking the time to interview 60+ people must be exhausting. That’s why over half of the faculty don’t show up, and those who do say “tell us about yourself” and then zone out until following up with “any questions for us?”

Not a good experience either party. Leaves applicants with the impression that the program doesn’t care and/or isn’t able to match who they want, so they have to cast a wide net.
How can one differentiate one's self in today's environment?

Thank you
“Tell about yourself” seriously the laziest interview question you can come up with. It’s the entire point of a personal statement. Pick a jumping off point from the 50 page application for the applicant to expound/elaborate. Much more fruitful for everyone.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)