Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gap year
(11-25-2021, 07:38 PM)Focus Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 07:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 05:47 PM)Guest Wrote: thank you Focus for that info.

To the ignorant poster who discourages, I was always interested in ns, but came to this fourms and grew more and more interested in the field. i like the personalities here. no other field has a similar fourm. interested in the diseases, the research. i'm ms1 without home so im emailing many ns and trying to get into a lab.

so far, no good progress but i remain interested and i am continuning to reach out to ns to get and get research opportunity.

If this forum is what drew you into neurosurgery I don’t know what to say

what do you mean? yes it did honestly. i enjoy reading this place. before this fourm, i was only mildly interested. but now i am 100% interested. 

The problem with this place however is the censorship.

You should be glad of the censorship it also keeps you from being doxxed.

Oh yeah thats a good point Focus. 

Not sure why some people are calling me a troll. I go to a bottom of the barrel school so its good to surround yourself with people who have the same goals as you do. I would say its good to have this forum. 

Their is a lot of good information here. For example, I did not know the improtance of research before this place. I come here often to get motivation and know how the field is like. 

All I need now is a real life NS to work with and I hope to that that by end of this year.
(11-25-2021, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys,

MS3 here. I’m planning on taking a gap year to do some research but I don’t have a home program. Are there research programs in place at high powered academic centers I can apply into? Any advice on how to get started?

Depends on if you need funding or not. If you don't, you can just email faculty that have high research output and are known to mentor students at big academic centers that you might be eyeing. Sending out a few cold emails at a time is a good idea, because a lot of times you won't get a reply. Then if they are willing to take you on (after a Zoom chat or something to discuss expectations and goals), you can ask about funding. Either they will have enough funding to pay you a small salary (rare without you having worked for them first), or you can try to apply for small grants either from your home institution, the host institution, or central places like the NIH.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)