Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fire my junior
(01-19-2022, 08:35 PM)Guest Wrote: 1. Point out all of his errors to my program directors.
2. Point out his ICU errors to the ICU attendings. This way when attending-to-attendings talk, the leadership thinks this is a wide spread problem
3. Don’t fix his mistakes. If he didn’t restart home meds or order the postop spine imaging, don’t order it for him. Wait until someone else recognizes that mistake and fixes it. Then approach that person, and thank him of her for fixing the mistake and considerate on “how this is always happening”, and “leadership knows about it and keeping track of this.” Encourage them to point out the mistakes.
4. When leadership accepts that they have a problem resident, step forward to “help” the resident improve. Offer mentorship, phone calls, and teaching sessions. Do them. Once you’ve done them, keep doing steps 1-3. Then sadly inform leadership, that the problem resident just isn’t improving. Subtly suggest that it’s not only aptitude but also attitude. And now his negative attitude is poisoning the well of the rest of the resident pool.
5. Keep escalating, until he he is placed on a performance improvement plan. By this time, the junior resident should be flustered and worried about his job. It should be a downward spiral from here. Continue to offer your support. You’ve almost got this.

Well this is pure evil
(01-19-2022, 10:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 08:35 PM)Guest Wrote: 1. Point out all of his errors to my program directors.
2. Point out his ICU errors to the ICU attendings. This way when attending-to-attendings talk, the leadership thinks this is a wide spread problem
3. Don’t fix his mistakes. If he didn’t restart home meds or order the postop spine imaging, don’t order it for him. Wait until someone else recognizes that mistake and fixes it. Then approach that person, and thank him of her for fixing the mistake and considerate on “how this is always happening”, and “leadership knows about it and keeping track of this.” Encourage them to point out the mistakes.
4. When leadership accepts that they have a problem resident, step forward to “help” the resident improve. Offer mentorship, phone calls, and teaching sessions. Do them. Once you’ve done them, keep doing steps 1-3. Then sadly inform leadership, that the problem resident just isn’t improving. Subtly suggest that it’s not only aptitude but also attitude. And now his negative attitude is poisoning the well of the rest of the resident pool.
5. Keep escalating, until he he is placed on a performance improvement plan. By this time, the junior resident should be flustered and worried about his job. It should be a downward spiral from here. Continue to offer your support. You’ve almost got this.

Well this is pure evil

The Louisville method.
I have mixed feelings about this thread. I rarely engage but will for this one.

For the OP- getting fired hopefully shouldn't be your first step, especially as the chief. I hope you tried remediation by helping point out their issues, having a buddy system, frequent reviews, task-based evaluation, etc. Also, you need to keep in close communication with the PD and coordinator. If you did all this and the person continues to be dangerous, then, I agree. They should be fired.

Now for the rest of the thread, firing a resident doesn't automatically make a program malignant. I'd much rather a residency fire a resident than make the next Dr. Death. This is neurosurgery and we are responsible for lives. Matching into a residency isn't an automatic golden ticket; you still have a job. This isn't some job where it annoys people that you are slow or bad; by ignoring an unsafe surgeon, you are damning his future patients to be maimed. We are not perfect at picking the next neurosurgeon. And when we make a mistake, we need to own up to it and protect the patients. I would rather ruin a single person's life by forcing them to be a different kind of doctor than have them paralyze or kill a handful of patients.

Oh well, I probably just fed the trolls.
(01-20-2022, 03:43 PM)Guest Wrote: I have mixed feelings about this thread. I rarely engage but will for this one.

For the OP- getting fired hopefully shouldn't be your first step, especially as the chief. I hope you tried remediation by helping point out their issues, having a buddy system, frequent reviews, task-based evaluation, etc. Also, you need to keep in close communication with the PD and coordinator. If you did all this and the person continues to be dangerous, then, I agree. They should be fired.

Now for the rest of the thread, firing a resident doesn't automatically make a program malignant. I'd much rather a residency fire a resident than make the next Dr. Death. This is neurosurgery and we are responsible for lives. Matching into a residency isn't an automatic golden ticket; you still have a job. This isn't some job where it annoys people that you are slow or bad; by ignoring an unsafe surgeon, you are damning his future patients to be maimed. We are not perfect at picking the next neurosurgeon. And when we make a mistake, we need to own up to it and protect the patients. I would rather ruin a single person's life by forcing them to be a different kind of doctor than have them paralyze or kill a handful of patients.

Oh well, I probably just fed the trolls.

He said the only reason he's doing it is bc he finds him annoying even though clinically he's ok
Citing Jocko Willink, there are no bad teams, just bad leaders.

Your PGY3 is a result of your bad leadership, and you are confirming that by posting this crap.
Question I have is how will your junior find another program. Why not have him transferred instead?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)